Getting a title.

Got questions? We got answers....
Adamrides

Getting a title.

Post by Adamrides »

Hey just bought a 2002 kdx220 with no title and i want to get a title. i have talked with the first owner and he said the bike was never titled from the dealer but only got a bill of sale. I would like to get it registered because a kdx on the road in ny would be amazing. or ill just go on the road without registration. I know about the vermont but the have a 300cc limit for road legal, theres also south dekota but i am unsure. any help will do thanks!
mwoj
Supporting Member

Re: Getting a title.

Post by mwoj »

You will also need the origin of manufacturer certificate I believe. Best of luck.
Adamrides

Post by Adamrides »

how will i be able to get that?
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Getting a title.

Post by ohgood »

Adamrides wrote:Hey just bought a 2002 kdx220 with no title and i want to get a title. i have talked with the first owner and he said the bike was never titled from the dealer but only got a bill of sale. I would like to get it registered because a kdx on the road in ny would be amazing. or ill just go on the road without registration. I know about the vermont but the have a 300cc limit for road legal, theres also south dekota but i am unsure. any help will do thanks!
use south dakota, you'll get a tag + regular motorcycle title, which you can transfer to whatever state you're in.

needed:
bill of sale
applications from SD website
notary stamp on applications

LOTS of people have done this, it's legal, easy.
Adamrides

Post by Adamrides »

Thanks a lot. Ill let you know if anything goes wrong.
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

ohgood wrote:
Adamrides wrote:Hey just bought a 2002 kdx220 with no title and i want to get a title. i have talked with the first owner and he said the bike was never titled from the dealer but only got a bill of sale. I would like to get it registered because a kdx on the road in ny would be amazing. or ill just go on the road without registration. I know about the vermont but the have a 300cc limit for road legal, theres also south dekota but i am unsure. any help will do thanks!
use south dakota, you'll get a tag + regular motorcycle title, which you can transfer to whatever state you're in.

needed:
bill of sale
applications from SD website
notary stamp on applications

LOTS of people have done this, it's legal, easy.
I did not know this! Great new info to me and thanks for sharing.

[emoji110]Braap!
mwoj
Supporting Member

Post by mwoj »

Keep us updated on how it goes.
Adamrides

Post by Adamrides »

Yeah no problem
Adamrides

Post by Adamrides »

Hey nogood how should i use the bill of sale. because i got one from the person i bought it off of but he didnt have the title. should i use that?
Adamrides

Post by Adamrides »

also will i need to write checks or could i use cash
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

Adamrides wrote:Hey nogood how should i use the bill of sale. because i got one from the person i bought it off of but he didnt have the title. should i use that?

you have to send the bill of sale, the afidavits notarized, and the application for a title. if you miss anything, the wonderful ladies from south dakota will hold your file until you can send everything as needed.

i think that's all i had to do. it's been a while. LOTS of folks have enjoyed their street legal dirt bikes after the nice folks at south dakota helped them out.

don't forget to insure it for street use... mine is about $60 a year. johnny law loves to get all the correct papers, and have nothing left to complain about. ;-)
Adamrides

Post by Adamrides »

Awesome so all together there were 3 bills of sale. Should i get them all or just use the one i have
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Getting a title.

Post by rbates9 »

I think you will find that Vermont is 200cc, not 300. A coworker just registered hid CRF250X about a month ago. The bike does need to be legal enough to pass a safety inspection before you can do it.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

Adamrides wrote:Awesome so all together there were 3 bills of sale. Should i get them all or just use the one i have
the bill of sale which transfered ownership from him to you is the only one you need to send.

once you have all the forms notarized, send them, along with instructions to call you (include phone number) so you can pay over the phone with your cc, and they will be very helpful with the process.

it's amazing just how helpful SD's dmv is.
mwoj
Supporting Member

Post by mwoj »

Did you ever get it? And what forms do you need to send in to South Dakota? Bill of Sale and what else?