How often should I change my oil and air filter?

Got questions? We got answers....
califX220

Post by califX220 »

First time dirt rider and KDX 220 owner. Newbie... so looking for some help on starting out.
Bitteeinit

Re: How often should I change my oil and air filter?

Post by Bitteeinit »

General consensus is air filter after every ride of it was really dusty (every two or three of they're short rides and not so dusty). Oil every two or three rides as well. Sometimes after one ride of it was long.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

Filter every ride unless it's not super dusty, but do check it after every ride. I change oil every 6hrs.

Get an hour meter to avoid guessing, plus you can keep track of total hours for your top end. $10-30 depending on where and what you buy, but smartest mod you can make [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

+1 for hour meter .... They are inexpensive to buy & easy to fit.... I change my engine oil, spark plug & clean/oil the air filter every 25 hours.....that roughly works out to 600 miles give or take.
rparrish08

Post by rparrish08 »

cornishwrecker220 wrote:+1 for hour meter .... They are inexpensive to buy & easy to fit.... I change my engine oil, spark plug & clean/oil the air filter every 25 hours.....that roughly works out to 600 miles give or take.
Change oil and clean filter every 25 hours?! You living on the edge brother!
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 2 Timothy 4:7
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

I run a twin air air filter with a generous helping of silkolene air filter oil without any worries ...even at 25 hours the gearbox oil is reasonably clean when changed & the air filter isn't that soiled ( I run the air box lid still in place ) ....I've owned my kdx for over 7 years & adopt the same servicing intervals as I did from day one.... i rebuilt the engine a few years ago & upon inspection the piston & bore were in good shape which tells me that my servicing intervals are fine for me.
Obviously if you race your bike in dusty conditions & ride on a regular basis then for peace of mind you can change your servicing intervals to suit your needs....the kdx isn't as highly strung as a racing ktm or the like , most if not all racing bike manufactures recommend low servicing hours just to keep their bikes from premature engine failure .
rparrish08

Re: How often should I change my oil and air filter?

Post by rparrish08 »

I've just always been the paranoid type I guess. Atf and air filter oil is cheap enough for me to service both every other ride. But I have been accused of piddling to much. :lol:
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 2 Timothy 4:7
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

It all depends on conditions and use. Using ATF, I have been going 5 or 6 rides between changes. Running a No Toil air filter I can go 5 or 6 rides as well unless I race. I need to change after every race due to the dust out here. Spark plug? I change it out once a year whether it needs it or not!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

My bike will let me know when to change the oil. The shifting will get a little fussy then it gets changed after that ride. sometimes it is a couple rides and sometimes it is several. The oil never really looks bad when I change it. And the air filter gets done when I think about it. A dirty filter will filter better than a clean one so power / air flow is the big loss for that.