Swingarm Polishing?

Got questions? We got answers....
mwoj
Supporting Member

Swingarm Polishing?

Post by mwoj »

If you have just seen my previous post, you will have learned my swingarm and engine are off my 1985 kdx 200. I can have my swingarm media blasted for free, but I heard that is hard to polish up real nice. I am considering sanding from 400 grit and make my way up to 1200 grit. It may take while but I don't mind. I don't think the actual polishing and mirror finish will be to hard. Anyone ever try this? Does it even look good on a dirtbike? I got some time before my parts come in, so I figured I might as well do something with my time. I am also gonna restore my plastics, and will make a post about how that goes when it happens. Any tips about the swingarm cleaning up? Should I even polish it to a mirror finish?
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Swingarm Polishing?

Post by Tioli »

Yes I have done it to a 2001 KX hybrid. Follow the link from my signature and there is a picture on the last page and through out the post

I did the same as you suggest then finished it off with a buffing wheel on a bench grinder. Then thinners it off and gave it a spray with Penatrol to seal it. I'm sure there are better clears to use.

I was selective in what parts I polished. I only polished the sides and not top and bottom as for me it worked better For the fect and maintenance.
2001 KX125 with a 1997 KDX Tioli Hp motor

My KDX journey starts at the bottom of this page:
http://www.trials.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... &start=160

Trials.com.au / Forum / All about...me! / My long time friend the prancing horse / page 9
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Swingarm Polishing?

Post by royadams »

I did just the sides on my 250 it was not too bad.
mwoj
Supporting Member

Post by mwoj »

That looks crazy nice. I tried a harbor freight polishing kit and go no where lmao
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I stripped my 93's swing arm using a wire wheel on a drill. Looks great, even though it's not a complete "polish". I had the swing arm on my 95 powder coated and I like the bare aluminum look a lot better.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Energy47

Swingarm Polishing?

Post by Energy47 »

I just did mine. Used nothing but some rags and Mothers polish. Had to go over it 5-10 times by hand, and then a final application of wax. Looks great. No sandpaper.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

If you are going to polish the swingarm, I wouldn't have it media blasted first. If you do, it will take longer to get it shiny. I would do as you said with 400 and go up from there, or scotchbrite it and take a buffing wheel to it.
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike