Swing Arm Bearing Replacment

Got questions? We got answers....
mwoj
Supporting Member

Post by mwoj »

So I took off my engine and swingarm off my 1985 kdx 200 today. Extremely greasy. Besides that, the bearings are shot in the swingarm. Like beyond shot. The roller pin needle things all fell out when i tipped the swingarm sideways. Everything cam out besides the piece that the needle things go into. Metal shavings and metal chunks everywhere. Its a $50 repair, not bad. Has anyone ever done this? Any ticks or tricks? thanks for your input.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Best tip I can give you is to put the new bearings in a freezer for 30 min or an hour before installing. This will make inserting them much easier. Probably will not have to heat the swing arm but if you do a heat gun or even a hair dryer is all you'll need. Go slow and insert the bearings to the depth specified in your manual. Not difficult unless you try to force things too much. Most people I know use an appropriately sized socket and tap the bearing into place.
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Swing Arm Bearing Replacment

Post by Sullyfam »

I use a threaded rod with an appropriate sized socket/washers to remove and replace. I also freeze the bearings before install, but would not recommend tapping as its too easy to damage the bearing. Nice even slow press with the threaded rod is the best DIY method IMO. See video below:

On removing, if they are old and rusty you may need a lot of heat to remove. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

Treaded rod for me too. I once tried with a hammer and bent the little lip in the race. A expensive lesson learned.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Hey, that's a great video showing how to use a rod. Thanks!
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

[emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

If the old race is stuck in there, I would heat the outside of the swingarm around the bearing with propane or map gas, find a socket that fits tightly in the bore, set it on top of the race, and knock it out with a hammer.

If that doesn't work, you can take a metal saw blade and try to cut the race along its length in one spot (being very careful not to damage the bearing bore in the swingarm). Then using a chisel, tap the race next to the slit that you just made, trying to pry the corner of it away from the swingarm. Then take a pair of pliers and twist the race away from the swingarm, essentially reducing the OD of the race so that it will fall out. I've used that as a last resort in different situations before.

Happy wrenching!
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike