thinking of buying a new carb

Got questions? We got answers....
bws2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bws2 »

I'm thinking of getting a new carb for my '01 KDX200.

I took the bike to a mechanic about a year ago and he did a carb cleaning. I never had any problems with the bike prior to this.

Ever since then, it's been wet fouling plugs. It mainly does this when I'm trying to cold start it, (but it did die on the trail in some really hot weather last summer.)

If I have to kick it more than 6 times, it just won't start. If I pull the plug it's wet and smells like gas.

I put in a different (dry, not necessarily new) plug and it starts.

I've cleaned the carb myself, changed the jet block gasket, set the float height, and gone one size leaner on the pilot and main.

At this point, I'm thinking the carb is screwed up. I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and pick up a new one from Jets 'r Us.

Either way, at least I would know if it was a carb issue. Right now I feel like I'm chasing my tail.

What do you guys think of this idea?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Have checked to make sure the vents and their hoses are clear?
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

bws2 wrote:I'm thinking of getting a new carb for my '01 KDX200.

I took the bike to a mechanic about a year ago and he did a carb cleaning. I never had any problems with the bike prior to this.

Ever since then, it's been wet fouling plugs. It mainly does this when I'm trying to cold start it, (but it did die on the trail in some really hot weather last summer.)

If I have to kick it more than 6 times, it just won't start. If I pull the plug it's wet and smells like gas.

I've cleaned the carb myself, changed the jet block gasket, set the float height, and gone one size leaner on the pilot and main.

At this point, I'm thinking the carb is screwed up. I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and pick up a new one from Jets 'r Us.

Either way, at least I would know if it was a carb issue. Right now I feel like I'm chasing my tail.

i've been dealing with a condition of richness... no matter what jets i put in, how lean i set the needle or float, it was always rich... for two years. i'm not saying i couldn't get a really GOOD jetting on this carb, but i could never get GREAT jetting or anywhere close to lean.

last week after i fouled plugs while using the STOCK pipe, with the airbox lid off, i decided to buy a new carb.

I'll update you with what I find when the new carb gets here. i'm assuming there will be trumpets and coffee falling from the sky (good) or something similar when i start the bike.

jetsrus has carbs for around $170
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

I have no experience, but based on what I've read on this site many times, the jet block gasket is a common culprit.

Past posts say carb cleaners can cause this to deteriorate.

You might want to check yours, and install a new one before springing for a new carb.
bws2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bws2 »

SS109 wrote:Have checked to make sure the vents and their hoses are clear?
Thanks SS.

I have put new vent hoses on it, and blown compressed air though the passages.

But, I guess it wouldn't hurt to double check the vents again.
bws2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bws2 »

ohgood wrote:

i've been dealing with a condition of richness... no matter what jets i put in, how lean i set the needle or float, it was always rich... for two years. i'm not saying i couldn't get a really GOOD jetting on this carb, but i could never get GREAT jetting or anywhere close to lean.

last week after i fouled plugs while using the STOCK pipe, with the airbox lid off, i decided to buy a new carb.

I'll update you with what I find when the new carb gets here. i'm assuming there will be trumpets and coffee falling from the sky (good) or something similar when i start the bike.

Thank you for the response, Ohgood. Sound like you're in the same boat as I am and understand how frustrating it is.

I'm looking forward to hearing how the new carb works for you.
bws2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bws2 »

pumpguy wrote:I have no experience, but based on what I've read on this site many times, the jet block gasket is a common culprit.

Past posts say carb cleaners can cause this to deteriorate.

You might want to check yours, and install a new one before springing for a new carb.
Good point Pumpguy. I changed it once, but my install may not have been good.

Certainly worth checking.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

bws2 wrote:
ohgood wrote:

Thank you for the response, Ohgood. Sound like you're in the same boat as I am and understand how frustrating it is.

I'm looking forward to hearing how the new carb works for you.

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 46#p172946

it solved ALL the issues i had with the running condition of the bike. go do it. it's the best money you can put into a kdx, without having a pro like RB do it for you.
bws2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: thinking of buying a new carb

Post by bws2 »

That's great news Ohgood! I'm very happy to hear it solved the problems.

I think I'll place the order at Jetsrus this week.