Stator Coil Replacment

Got questions? We got answers....
mwoj
Supporting Member

Stator Coil Replacment

Post by mwoj »

So, my bike has an issue with weak spark. There isnt spark when trying to kickstart, but bump starting works. Spark isnt an issue as long as you stay above a certain rpm. I replaced the main coil, for like $20. But that didnt fix anything. Its either my ignition coil in the stator, or the CDI box. Once again, i will go with the potentially cheaper fix. So here I am looking for the stator ignition coil. I found this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-Source ... mS&vxp=mtr

I have a 1985 KDX 200, but I am unsure if it A,B, or C. Or however the individual models go. Will this work with my bike? Were they similar for all 1985 KDX 200's? Thanks a ton!
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Re: Stator Coil Replacment

Post by Jaguar »

on old bikes the flywheel magnets can loose strength and the only way to get normal voltage out of the stator coil is rewinding it with more turns than is stock. There is just barely enough room to do that.
But of course go ahead and try a replacement coil in case the one on there is damaged.
Oh, also if the metal to metal contacts for the stator plate to the cases are rusty then that introduces resistance into the return ground path from the spark plug which reduces spark strength which is more obvious at low rpm when the stator voltage is normally lower. clean them good first
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
bultaco4ever
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Stator Coil Replacment

Post by bultaco4ever »

My '93 E series had the same exact problem. I almost split the cases and replaced crank seals thinking that was the problem. I had the engine out of the frame and ready to take it to a competent mechanic. But something told me to try a new stator. So, I reinstalled the engine and replaced the stator. It fired up on the 2nd kick. It would only bump start before this.

I got lucky because the 1990 on up used the same stator until production ceased in 2006. The 1985 model stator might be hard to find. But, you can just replace the exciter coil with a little more effort. Search the forum here for 'exciter' coil and you'll find some help.

Post a close up photo of your stator off of the '85 so we can all compare.