Adjusting Carb?

Got questions? We got answers....
mwoj
Supporting Member

Adjusting Carb?

Post by mwoj »

So I have a 1985 kdx 200. There is a 1986 kdx 200 carb on it. Its a Mikuni v20. Since its not the right carb for the bike, it doesnt run great. It will "red line" at like 2.5k rpm. I call it redline because it makes a noise like a rev limiter, like a faster surging. Anyway it doesnt rev up real high at all. Its not the throttle cable, because the plunger is pulled all the way up at full throttle. Anyway, there a screw on the side of the carb that I tried adjusting, with it all the way in I can get the bike to run faster.

I don't know much about dirtbike carbs, but I read up about re jetting. Could that possibly solve the issue? I also wouldnt have any idea on how to find the right jet, but it shouldnt be to hard to replace.

On another note, I have been running the bike without an air filter, so I assume the bike is getting more air than usual. Is there any chance I can get the bike running well with this carb? Or should I just buy a new carb? (Which id rather not do)

Also, the lower cylinder gasket is busted. I don't think it does to much but could that be causing any issues?

The cap on top of the throttle plunger isnt tight either, cuz its not the right cap. Could that be letting extra air in?

And the 1985 kdx 200 carb is new.

I only paid $125 for the bike so its not the end of the world if im screwed.

Suggestions?
sarrant

Adjusting Carb?

Post by sarrant »

If your cylinder base gasket has indeed failed, you will never get the bike running correctly, until you replace that. Jetted correctly, the '86 Mikuni should run fine.