Clutch Not Disengaging (When pulled in)

Got questions? We got answers....
mwoj
Supporting Member

Post by mwoj »

Picked up my first bike a few weeks ago. A project for $125. Well a piece of junk for $125 lol. Its a 1985 KDX 200. Tis rough. Anyway, after diagnosing weak spark among many other issues, I was able to get it running. To start it I run it down my driveway (which is a hill) and drop it into gear. I could ride it and stuff, shifting without a clutch. It doesn't have a (functioning) clutch or brakes, or a kill switch, but luckily it doesn't run great so I can let it die at low rpm's. (There will be other threads about that in the future if I can't figure it out myself)

Anyway, I am here to ask for assistance about the clutch. when I pull the lever, it actuates the lever on top of the clutch cover. I can feel the resistance pulling the lever back, so I know the springs are all fine. But I can't roll it in gear, (with the clutch lever depressed) nor can i shift with the clutch. It doesn't actually function. What do you suggest?
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

Maybe the plates are stuck together. I know my 89 will do this after hibernation. Seems the trans oil drains off the plates over the winter. I usually warm it up, take it for a quick spin, put it 3rd or 4th, pull the lever in and step on the rear brake and the plates pop free.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Clutch Not Disengaging (When pulled in)

Post by Tedh98 »

Probably stuck friction and drive plates. But given your description of the bike, I would pull the clutch apart for a proper inspection.
mwoj
Supporting Member

Post by mwoj »

There is a bolt right under the clutch linkage on top of the cluth cover, that is out almost all the way. It doesnt appear to be the right bolt, and is kinda just in there as a quick replacement. Should I force it in? Or could it be an oil level check?
ecojbr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ecojbr »

Don't rule out grooves worn in the basket not allowing the plates to separate
04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200