Second Hand KDX 250 S, 1994.

Got questions? We got answers....
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Hi everyone,

Im new to this forum so if I do breach some rules please feel free to correct me.
My name is Kenny, I am from Rwanda (East Africa), currently residing in South Africa. I have just purchased a 2 stroke KDX250 1994, and after smoking-in the neighbourhood, I had my first ride.
What a beast! Can't get enough of it... The issue is, this is my first 2 stroke, I have a lot more experience on 4 strokes (maintenance wise and riding).
I think I do tend to drive it under the recommended rev, feels to weird to rev it all the way in but I believe thats the way to do it.

Ok my question is:

To your guys experienced opinion, this is a second hand bike with a lot of hours possibly.

What essential maintenance should I do on it as soon as possible (rings, oil, brake pad, suspension, clutch)?

And other thing, I see I have oil leaking out of the exhaust port on the engine itself. See picture below, might make more sense.
Is this from my (slow/underrev driving or from a faulty gasket ?)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128478463 ... ed-public/

Cheers and thank you guys.

Kenny.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Essentials are fix the exhaust leak, fresh fuel with quality 2T oil, fresh gear box oil, clean air filter, a fresh spark plug, silencer repacked not long ago, and proper jetting. Do a compression check to see what condition the piston rings are in so you have a baseline to go from. Do a basic check on everything else and if it looks good and works right leave it be. No, you shouldn't have to rev it unless you want to. They will stay at low revs all day with no problem.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Second Hand KDX 250 S, 1994.

Post by KDXGarage »

Check to see if you can find an online parts diagram for your specific model. For most, there is a copper crush gasket between the pipe and cylinder, plus 2 o-rings.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Thanks a lot Jason and SS109,

Will try and do all of this as soon as I get a chance.

Will update ASAP !

Regards

Kenny.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Hi guys,

I decided to take the exhaust/muffler off and inspect the state of O rings and copper washers between the main exhaust port and the exhaust. Well there weren't any, only a little bit of gasket maker was left on the edges (I suppose thats was the main reason for the leak). Anyway clean all of that up nicely and went out on a shopping mission to try and find those washers, and O-ring, couldn't find any but got some heat resistant gasket paper.
Made gaskets for the exhaust port (please advise if gasket paper shouldn't be used?), tightened everything back together, started first kick after standing for 5 days, and went for a 50 km ride without a problem, no more leak (so long...).

Still planning on doing compression check and change oils and spark plugs.

What oil would you recommend ?

And what two stroke oil is best, I see lot of mentions to Yamalube 2t at 31/1 ?

Regards

Kenny.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

If it does not leak, then it works! :cool:

What oils are available in Rwanda? I have no clue.

What is your skill level and how hard are you riding the bike? I say that generally, the harder it is revved and loaded, the more oil it needs. A person putting around following a child in the backyard needs little oil, for example.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Ja... Thats what I thought as well but found some oil again passing over the gasket so I guess not working so well.
Will try and make another plan.

I am in South Africa now with the bike, so pretty much any oil will be available I reckon. I'm not racing it or anything close to it. I just take it on trails up mountains and such and do quite a bit of "long distance" riding (+- 100km). Nothing hectic but not quite following childs in the garden either.

I found that it's struggling to get fuel delivery at a certain rev level as well, if that makes any sense. Its kinda struggling between low rev to high rev, could that be from carb issues or is it normal of two stroke?
I changed the spark plug today as well so we ll see if that make any difference tomorrow morning.

Cheers

Kenny.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Yamaha makes good oil.

32:1 sounds safe. Can you put some silicone gasket material inside the connection to try to help seal it?
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Ja I saw some exhaust gasket maker yesterday in town (Holds-Firegum). Will try it on and see how it goes.

How does one goes to be able to post picture directly on the posts so that I can upload the work I do on it which could help peoples with the same issues as me.

Regards

Kenny.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Generally, one uses a photo hosting site, then links to those pictures.