2 stroke gas sitting

Got questions? We got answers....
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

2 stroke gas sitting

Post by Friedom »

So I got my 92 with rebuilt engine running great, parked it last Wednesday, and yesterday it would not fire kicking it over. I bump started it down our steep driveway and then it ran fine and would kick fine.
But I noticed I didn't see the usual smoke coming out the pipe. So I blipped it a few times, and it was like it sneezed. Fluid spattered out - and then a bunch of smoke. After I blew out some more fluid (spooge?) It was smoking like it used to.

Is this just what happens to 2 strokes? Is it because it sat 5 days with a tank of gas? Did the 2t oil settle to the bottom of the carb/tank then over oil things?
My petcock has a slow leak, and the carb is also slow leaking, but I haven't figured out where. I have a spare petcock to swap on, but still working on the carb. Related?

Fun Wheel Drive
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

2 stroke gas sitting

Post by Sullyfam »

I've had gas sit for 30days with no problem. The gas isn't the issue IMO.

Perhaps the bike wasn't warmed up enough or jetting could be off. An overly oiled air filter can cause overt rich conditions as well.

I'd address the leaks then if it still has issues once properly warmed up, check your jetting.

Btw - if the carb leak is coming from the hoses, then it's likely your overflow hose which means your float height is too high. This will also cause a rich condition. Need to correct that ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: 2 stroke gas sitting

Post by Friedom »

I wonder if the o ring above the fuel valve is leaking, causing the fuel level to be too high, causing a rich condition.
Maybe it's time to order the air stryker. You know, for simplicity.

Fun Wheel Drive
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

I haven't figured out a good way to set the float height on these - can't just attach a hose to the drain line and get a side reading. I know you can adjust the tang so the contact point puts the float parallel with the carb body. I strongly suspect that o ring above the needle valve seat now..

Fun Wheel Drive
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

Works every time for me and no measuring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keystone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2 stroke gas sitting

Post by Keystone »

I have the same thing happen when my bike sits for awhile. I solved the problem. I always shut my gas petcock "off" and run the motor till it dies when I know the bike will be parked for longer than a week. Then, before I turn the gas back on, I shake the bike back and forth, up and down to get the gas mixed up in the tank before turning petcock "on" and sending fuel down to the carb.

I know your petcock leaks so, I'd get that fixed first. Pre-mixed fuel will separate and the higher octane will rise while the heavy oils will settle to bottom. It just needs shaked up before carb gets it.

You also say you have carb leaks so maybe this isn't going to solve your problem, but if you do this it will at least rule out the gas not being mixed right.
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Agreed. I decided to drain a gallon out, shake it then put it back in. In addition to sloshing.
Also decided to take apart my muffler to see if it's soaked. It might be an early fmf, I'm told. Not sure if it has a spark arrestor. Not too soaked though, wth..
Fun Wheel Drive
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

2 stroke gas sitting

Post by thirdgenlxi »

I had a problem with mine where it wouldn't start cold after it had sat for a little bit, but once started would start perfectly fine every time until it sat again (mind you I ride it almost every day, so this can be even just sitting overnight). Turned out to be the float valve wasn't sealing off. Replaced the float valve and haven't had a problem with it since..... starts right up first kick

Easy way to tell this..... well one if it doesn't start right up, lean the bike over on it's side to drain some gas out of the carb, then try again. If it starts right up, it's overfull. You can also shut the gas off and let it run for a minute or so, then shut the bike off. Leave the gas turned off and let it sit, then the next time you go to start it turn it back on and try to start it right away. If it starts right up..... same thing
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Noted, thanks.
I was also thinking I'd take the bowl drain out, put the carb upright in a bowl, and let it fill. Takes longer, but it should still stop at the carb body.

Fun Wheel Drive