removing rear shock?

Got questions? We got answers....
fulltiltboogie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

removing rear shock?

Post by fulltiltboogie »

I need to put a new spring on my rear shock and just dread taking all that stuff off to get shock out. Is there any tricks ya'll have found to removing rear shock with taking off airbox, rear fender, subframe, etc.???
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Sure!

Take it out through the righthand side of the frame (just opposite of the airbox).... twist a bit and she comes right out..... :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Sure!

Take it out through the righthand side of the frame (just opposite of the airbox).... twist a bit and she comes right out..... :supz:
That's how I got mine out, too, AFTER taking the swingarm off and discovering it won't come out that way (oh well, bushings needed grease anyway...).
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
fulltiltboogie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by fulltiltboogie »

Thanks Vince! Indeed it came right out. (with a little persuasion and a few choice words) And much to my surprise I was able to get collar out and spring off and new one back on without any kind of spring compressor. Turned out to be much easier than I ever imagined. Thanks again! :grin:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

FFR...

If you're taking your shock out for service..NOT putting in a new spring....count the threads above the lock ring. Make a note of it so that on install you can put it back in the 'same' place it was.

Well...considering the preload was either correct or where you liked it in the first place.

The pipe didn't need to come off?

Seems I've only taken my shock out when something else was already off. With the pipe, airbox and subframe rod off, it comes out purty easy!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
fulltiltboogie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by fulltiltboogie »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:...

The pipe didn't need to come off?

Seems I've only taken my shock out when something else was already off. With the pipe, airbox and subframe rod off, it comes out purty easy!

Yeah I had always taken shock out when everything else was off bike.
With everything in tact it would be easier to take pipe off but I had just put a new one on and simply didn't feel like it. You can just pull the pipe your way at its junction to silencer and shock will eventually come out. Not real easy but it will come out.