Antifreeze...do I need to be picky?

Got questions? We got answers....
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Antifreeze...do I need to be picky?

Post by wanaride »

Hello all! I have been using Prestone antifreeze in my bike since I drained the factory coolant after break-in. I thought any aluminum-friendly coolant would be fine, but...

I read yesterday on DRN that antifreeze with "silicates" cause waterpump and impeller damage. :shock:

Is this true? Should I change back to the Kawi factory stuff?

Thanks for your help!
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
BJH
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by BJH »

I have read that the dog friendly anifreeze (low tox) is indeed the same high dollar (propylene glycol instaed of ethylene glycol) anti freeze that race teams and dirt bikes use. And it contains no silicates. Just bottled and lower priced for general consumption. I have friends who use it and have never had a problem with cooling or freezing.
Silicates are abrasive and used to prevent radiator corrosion. There fore they can do a number on aluminum.
Like I said I have just read that but I trust the source. I haven't used it because I have a few bottles of the high dolloar honda stuff.
Just an FYI
________
How i met your mother dicussion
Last edited by BJH on 08:02 am Feb 17 2011, edited 1 time in total.
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Thanks BJH. I checked out the Prestone site yesterday to see what is in their "regular" stuff, but I couldn't find their regular stuff. (I did see their animal friendly product.)

I just read through the service manual and it doesn't say anything about silicates (i.e. avoid them) in the coolant; just use distilled water + coolant at a suitable ratio, and ensure your aluminum-friendly propylene glycol coolant has corrosion preventative agents.

I'll probably punt and get the Kawi factory stuff anyway...thanks again!
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure