Complete Motor rebuild successful...suspension is next

Got questions? We got answers....
kaw814

Post by kaw814 »

Hello folks...thanks again for the helo throughout the last yr. I managed to rebuild a nightmare of a 2003 220 engine with great success. I received quite a few tips from this site. Engine starts cold within 2 or 3 kicks every time and runs with a nice tan colored plug. Awesome. My next project, the suspension. As of right now the shock has a small leak..Im taking the bike out for nothing more than a short trailride tmor then making a move on it this week. Im thinking of doing just a service on the shock, ive heard rather decent reviews on the shock, and am contemplating a revalve. As far as the forks, too soft. No leaks, and I havent toyed with them much but Im thinking a full rebuild/revalve on the forks (idk if this would include new springs or not) im approx 180 lbs in full gear, 49 yrs old and reentering the sport after a 20 yr hiatus. I woulod consider my riding ability to be intermediate. Ive seen some modify their kdx's with forks off af a KX500 with some success it would appear. I was wondering what you guys would reccomend..just a suspension servicing (seals, etc) or a revalving on both?. I dont have a very good handle on suspension issues yet...not sure what the difference is but am wondering what the best route would be to take
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Complete Motor rebuild successful...suspension is next

Post by doakley »

Similar profile to me, recently re-entered the dirt bike world after a long gap. I had Jeff Fredette service my old shock and he revalved it for my weight and (lack of) riding style. Really impressed with the cost and the results. On the forks you're a bit heavy for the stock springs. Problem is how do you know what springs are in there on a used bike? I replaced mine with the correct rate. Now I'm thinking of doing the shim mod (find it on this site) myself also. I'm actually happy with the forks now but wondered if the shim mod would make them a bit better on the roots and rocks. I suggest you read Fredette's suspension tips to help you decide, frprac inn.com I believe.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Complete Motor rebuild successful...suspension is next

Post by doakley »

Sorry, that's frpoffroad.com
kaw814

Post by kaw814 »

Had a real good ride today. First one that lasted all day since i stopped riding in 1994 and it felt great. Kind of leaning towards the revalve. I do have another question though. What would Jeff Fredette as opposed to someone else with suspension experience do that would differ?..prices can range greatly from shop to shop. If all revalves are done using the same parts and methods wouldn't cheaper be more practical? Providing of course you have reputable companies/mechanics to compare with each other