ignition/source coil rewind?

Got questions? We got answers....
sanso18

Post by sanso18 »

Hello all,
I have been trying to find a write-up for rewinding the source coil on my 1999 KDX200. I have found TONS of write-ups and posts about rewinding the lighting coil, but I'm assuming there are some differences.

Does anyone know of a good how-to or can anyone tell me any major differences? I know the wire to wind them is different...

Thanks!
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Re: ignition/source coil rewind?

Post by Jaguar »

you would have to use a digital caliper to measure the original wires diameter and then order the same (not raw exposed copper wires. they have to have some thin insulation on them).
rig up something to spin the housing while the wire wraps around it. we are talking hundreds of turns at least so don't even think about doing it by hand.
tension needs to be kept on the wire so it will be tightly packed. Even so, it will probably be fatter than the original which is OK. expect it.
then buy an adjustable CDI because rewound coils always differ from originals in their voltage output which affects the timing. more voltage gives more spark advance. I know, I talk from experience. But the end result was an even better power delivery than stock (which is moderated for enduro use).
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
sanso18

Post by sanso18 »

Thanks againJag! I was planning on buying one of you CDI units anyways so this should work out then.