What F&R springs do I need?

Got questions? We got answers....
19Delta
Supporting Member

What F&R springs do I need?

Post by 19Delta »

Just dropped off our KDX bikes to the suspension shop. My son's is sn 03, and is all stock suspension. He is 18, 6'-2" and weighs about 240 plus gear. We are novice/intermediate riders. Will not be doing any Motocross stuff. Just riding trails and Enduros. What springs should I tell the shop to order? My son likes a soft to medium ride.

I weigh about 170 pounds, and I'm 5'-9". My 97 KDX has KX 125 front forks from a 1995. Stock rear spring. Do I need to change my Springs? I really don't want to spend the money on springs for my bike. I think it's pretty close to what it should be. I like a soft ride. I've only ridden the bike about an hour. It seems okay, but I probably wouldn't know if it was wrong! :-)

Thanks a bunch for the input guys! I really value your opinions!
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: What F&R springs do I need?

Post by doakley »

Suggest you go to frpoffroad.com and look at KDXposed for tips on suspension tuning. Jeff Fredette is da' man with a KDX.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

I would let the suspension shop make the call on the springs you need. That way it is on them to get the spring rates correct for you guys. Plus I would expect that is part of what you are paying them for.

I'm thinking that if you tell them "I want a x.x spring" and it turns out wrong, I would expect that you'll get charged 2x when they order another spring.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Tedh98 wrote:I would let the suspension shop make the call on the springs you need. That way it is on them to get the spring rates correct for you guys. Plus I would expect that is part of what you are paying them for.

I'm thinking that if you tell them "I want a x.x spring" and it turns out wrong, I would expect that you'll get charged 2x when they order another spring.
Yup! You are paying the suspension shop for their expertise. They should be asking you about your weight, type(s) of riding you do, what you like or don't like about your current suspension setup, etc.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

5.4 or 5.6 and .48 (stiffest they make) for the son's bike

leave it stock on yours

But I would surely let them make the call.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128