Trouble shooting

Got questions? We got answers....
89200guy

Trouble shooting

Post by 89200guy »

Just did a fresh top end on my 89 200. Havi g load up issues going up hill primarily. Thought it was a fuel issue,but after a season of jetting each ride and. Not being able to remedie the problem I'm leaning towards an ignition /spark issue. Not my strongest subject when it comes to trouble shooting. Looked at bike bandids sight to see how much a new stator and ignitor ect would be and its around the 1600 dollar mark all said and done. Any ideas
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Re: Trouble shooting

Post by Jaguar »

I can sell you a new adjustable CDI for half the cost of OEM. And there are good replacement high voltage coils on EBay for a fraction of the OEM cost.
before going to all that trouble, first take off your stator plate and remove all corrosion. The metal contacts there are the ground return path for the ignition system. corrosion adds resistance there, making the system less efficient.
http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/fixing-ignition.html
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Trouble shooting

Post by SS109 »

I agree with Jaguar. Also, make sure where the coil bolts down is corrosion free along with the short ground wire coming off of it and all other electrical connections. I had a similar problem fairly recently and it turned out to be my spark plug wire so check it as well.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
bultaco4ever
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by bultaco4ever »

I just posted this in another thread but I found a loose connection screw on the backside of my stator for the black ground wire. Check that connection also.
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jjavaman »

Downshift??
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
TomJ

Post by TomJ »

Jaguar wrote:I can sell you a new adjustable CDI for half the cost of OEM. And there are good replacement high voltage coils on EBay for a fraction of the OEM cost.
before going to all that trouble, first take off your stator plate and remove all corrosion. The metal contacts there are the ground return path for the ignition system. corrosion adds resistance there, making the system less efficient.
http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/fixing-ignition.html
You may have a customer for the ignitor...

Think mine's dead. Will confirm and order in the morning (assuming you're still making these?)
shoe757
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by shoe757 »

Had a similar problem on the 500. Smashed a rad in a race and it kept dying at idle and under full load. Thought it was too much fuel loading up from letting it tractor around. Then I saw the rad and thought it was overheating. Turns out the rad was dripping on the coil and started to short. Swapped it out and ran like new.
02 Kdx220
97 Kdx200/220
04 Kx250/500
01 Kx250
01 Kx100
13 Klx140
12 Teryx4
11 kfx450r
05 Vulcan 2000
04 636
93 Cbr900rr 8.37 ET
96 Rm125