Couple of questions

Got questions? We got answers....
Mnmonster
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Couple of questions

Post by Mnmonster »

Ok so I am a bad KDX owner. I bought my 220 about two years ago. Didn't ride it much at all the first year and only put About 20 hours on it last summer. I changed the oil and cleaned the air filter twice in that time and cleaned the carb once. Bike ran great so I put off everything and just decided to ride it. Well I have now decided to go through it a bit more before this riding season as I'm hoping to get some more seat time. I ordered a new wiseco top end kit and started to tear into the bike.

I pulled the plug for the first time since I have owned it (bad I know) and it is a b8es. Would there be a reason the po was running this plug? Here is a pic as well. Looks bad to me. Bike ran great tho.

I also tried to take a pic down the plug hole. Top of piston doesn't look great from what I could see.

So other than installing the new piston, what else should I be doing here? New to a lot of this stuff so I apologize for the newbness.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Couple of questions

Post by s10gto »

Looks ok to me. Posibly a little rich but that's not a bad thing. B8es or BR8ES is correct plug.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Yup, what s10 said.

You running the stock piston in that thing?
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

I think the chocolate brown color indicates correct fuel ratio and that the excessive accumulation was just due to the plug being used a long time without cleaning or replacement. Some accumulation on the piston is nothing to worry about either. I wouldn't worry about the piston and rings unless its been seized or your compression gauge is indicating a loss of compression.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

If that is the stock 220 piston it would be a very good idea to replace it with a forged one.

Lots of posts on what happens to the stock 220 pistons here.
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jjavaman »

He has a weisco piston on order.
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
Mnmonster
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Couple of questions

Post by Mnmonster »

Yup, I'm aware. I have a wiseco ordered. Good thing too, because....

I'm pretty sure that's the stocker.

Here's how the head looked. Pretty clean.

And cylinder.

That's as far as I got today. Will pull the cylinder and put the new piston in when it arrives. Maybe a dumb question, but do I have to completely disassemble the kips system to do the top end?

I am boxing up my carb and head to send to RB this week as well since I've got it all apart :grin:
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Couple of questions

Post by Tedh98 »

Mnmonster wrote: Maybe a dumb question, but do I have to completely disassemble the kips system to do the top end?
No.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Couple of questions

Post by pumpguy »

.........although I can't imagine the KIPS doesn't need a thorough cleaning.
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

pumpguy wrote:.........although I can't imagine the KIPS doesn't need a thorough cleaning.
X2. If you have it that far apart it would be worth going a little further and disassembling the KIPS and cleaning it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joey

2003 KDX 220R
Mnmonster
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Mnmonster »

JFortner5 wrote:
pumpguy wrote:.........although I can't imagine the KIPS doesn't need a thorough cleaning.
X2. If you have it that far apart it would be worth going a little further and disassembling the KIPS and cleaning it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Logically I know this is the right answer. But I really don't want to screw it up. It was working before I tore it apart. :?
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Mnmonster wrote:Logically I know this is the right answer. But I really don't want to screw it up. It was working before I tore it apart. :?
It really isnt that difficult. It is just lining up marks and dots.

I think it is easier to screw up a top end than getting the KIPS timed correctly.
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

Joey

2003 KDX 220R
Mnmonster
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Mnmonster »

:grin:

I shipped this out to Ron a week ago. Amazingly fast turn around time and his work looks great. Can't wait to put it all back together.
Mnmonster
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Couple of questions

Post by Mnmonster »

Got it all back together today. The piston had a little bit of scoring, but was in pretty good shape otherwise. No cracks or anything in the skirt. Cylinder wall also looked ok. There were one or two very slight scratches that I could barely feel with my fingernail. Not enough to concern me, so I threw it all back together.

Kicking it over the first few times was very nerve racking as I had never done this type of work before. She fired up on the second kick and after I got the idle dialed in it seemed to run great. After a couple heat cycles I took it down the driveway a few times. Holy. ****. Power everywhere. Crisp throttle. Third gear power wheelies. :grin:

Now in addition to the new top end, I had my head and carb modified by RB and also installed some boyseen reeds. So I'm not sure how much each addition benefited alone but all of them together is just great. Can't wait to actually take it out in the woods.