oil leak

Got questions? We got answers....
kaw814

oil leak

Post by kaw814 »

I noticed a small oil leak at my drainplug on an 02 kdx 220....from what ive heard, its a good idea to replace the copper crush washer when changing the oil. Sounds like that would do the trick...if someone could confirm my hunch that all i need to do is replace that washer it would greatly put my mind at ease. Also, at this time I'd like to thank those that helped out during a year long complete rebuild. Special mention to Julien and Kdx Ohio. Even the silly questions get answered here. thanks again folks
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: oil leak

Post by diymirage »

if, and I repeat IF that is the source of the leak, a new washer may do the trick
presuming the threads on both the case and the plug are fine, and the plug is in tight

as long as this is where it is leaking, have at it
just be sure it isn't coming from somewhere else...like behind the front sprocket
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: oil leak

Post by Tedh98 »

Very good chance that will take care of it. Those wont last forever, especially if over-tightened.

The good thing is that you can quickly and inexpensively find out if that takes care of the leak.

But . . . it could be like a roof leak where the source of the leak is not the same place you see the drip. Check the sprocket and shifter seal to see if maybe the oil isnt hugging the case and finally dripping near the plug. Probably not the case but it will take a second to check.