Pro-X
29%
OEM
No votes
Wiseco
57%
It doesn't matter
7%
The way you ride, might as well leave the piston out.
7%

Total votes: 14

NM_KDX200

Popped my head!

Post by NM_KDX200 »

Just like I thought I might, I got to looking at that exposed cylinder and thought "There it is! 15 minutes and it's off! Oughta just do it all now!" and before I knew it, I had a 8 mm wrench in my hand and bolts was a'flying.

You know what I hate most about top-ends? The coolant. I hate draining coolant. I've never been able to do it w/out spilling 1/2 the stuff all over the garage floor and then there's always some left in some orifice somewhere in the head that spills out after I've got the main mess cleaned up. I hate coolant.

There was a bit more carbon on the piston than I expected, so I guess it's just as well that I'm doing this. Haven't checked the KIPS or old ring gap yet, but I'll do that tomorrow when the sun's up.

I know you guys are bored and love polls, so here we go!
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The OEM piston that's in there may be fine and just replace the rings after measuring the end gap. My piston was completely trashed so I had to replace the piston. If it's scared, even mildly... replace it. I'd forget OEM myself because they cost more than the Pro-X and you can't say I want a "B" piston because you get what you get. Which I think is BS since you are the one putting up the cash.

Pro-X after measuring the bore and ordering the right piston or Wiseco if you can't measure it.

All this is assuming the bore is good.
Last edited by Indawoods on 09:34 pm Dec 22 2005, edited 1 time in total.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

Oooooohhh this could get ugly, hehehe. Good thing you didnt ask why! :lol:

Never saw you ride so I couldn't pick the last one. :wink:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

By far, the easiest is to get the Wiseco kit.... If you go that way, make sure that you warm the bike up thoroughly before flogging it or you could stick the piston. Just something I have always been told about forged piston from my brother.

I really don't think you can go wrong buying any of them as long as it is the right one. :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "