New rear brake pads toast after 1 ride....why?

Got questions? We got answers....
argclh6670
Supporting Member

Post by argclh6670 »

Hey people....i put brand new set of (cheaper) pads on rear of sons hybrid kdx/kx250 ...raced a very muddy and wet HS today. As i was loading up i noticed tat the pads were completely worn to to the backing plate. Has anybody else had pads wear this quickly? I realize that heavy sediment on rotor would assumingly act as sandpaper....but sheesh.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Probably a combination of the mud along with dragging the rear brake. However, check to make sure the brake return spring is working.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Bitteeinit

Re: New rear brake pads toast after 1 ride....why?

Post by Bitteeinit »

If you love in an area where the mud is sandy then yes, quite possible.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
tmmyghst

Post by tmmyghst »

Solid rotor for very muddy conditions.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

I was going thru rear pads like crazy on my quad and couldn't figure out. I believe my problem were the pins that the calipers rode on. Both of them had some small grooves in them. One day I decided to change the pins when I changed the pads. I haven't had to change my rear pads since. I figure the pads were getting hung up on those grooves and not allowing the pad to move as freely as it would like. That could be something to check.
05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

We are having the same problem at Straddleline. I put a set of gapher's on my bike and a set of EBC on my son's bike for Sundays race. I'll get a look at the pads tonight.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Just went and looked at the brakes.....They are toast. The brake pins are new, so I'm gathreing that it's that thick clay/mud and a LOT of rear braking that is eating them up.....I guess I'm going back to the cheap ones until the series is over.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
argclh6670
Supporting Member

Post by argclh6670 »

Crazy how fast they wear!! Good thing i stock up on the cheap ones...lol. You were riding great this weekend....definitely see improvement in your son too!
6 Riders wrote:Just went and looked at the brakes.....They are toast. The brake pins are new, so I'm gathreing that it's that thick clay/mud and a LOT of rear braking that is eating them up.....I guess I'm going back to the cheap ones until the series is over.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

argclh6670 wrote:Crazy how fast they wear!! Good thing i stock up on the cheap ones...lol. You were riding great this weekend....definitely see improvement in your son too!
6 Riders wrote:Just went and looked at the brakes.....They are toast. The brake pins are new, so I'm gathreing that it's that thick clay/mud and a LOT of rear braking that is eating them up.....I guess I'm going back to the cheap ones until the series is over.
Thanks, Riding has/had been hard for me lately, but I go for my boys. 95 is done, so I should have it at the last race :supz:
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

Wet,muddy conditions will wear pads .....a solid rear rotor will reduce wear on the pads but also help with braking & longevity, there are a lot of pads out there to choose from & at various prices too, it's always best to fit quality brake pads that are specific for your requirements....I always buy pads marked for MX or Enduro ....EBC ( red pads ) or Brembo are excellent albeit not the cheapest..... But hey you gets what you pay for......also be careful when buying frOm EBay as some items have found to be counterfeit !
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

What kind of rotor and what kind of pads, also what style, semi-mettalic, organic, etc.?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

Vented discs, & wavy discs are to reduce heat build up , but with vented discs mud & grit can & will block the holes & cause the pads to wear faster . stintered pads ( pads with metal in with the ceramic material ) work very well but at a cost.....they wear the discs quicker than normal.
Any off road motorcycle will wear discs & pads ....a disc guard can help reduce premature wear by deflecting mud & crud off & away from the disc & brake calipers .