04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200
Velocity_Stack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Education Needed on Gearbox Oils

Post by Velocity_Stack »

ecojbr wrote:This thread should really open the eyes to everyone about how "UN crucial" two stroke gear oil is. Lots of people using lots of different oils with great results. If you feel it's the one for you, keep it changed then it should be fine. The only thing I have noticed with heavier oils is clutch plates sticking when cold. After just a few minutes of ride time the loosened up. Saw this just last weekend with a new yz250x. Very cold temps and clutch wouldn't disengage until road for a few min.

I have the same problem, but it's usually when the unit sits up, not ridden for a couple of months.

Usually frees up in about 100 yards of riding, shifting through all the gears at low rpms and holding the clutch lever in.
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Education Needed on Gearbox Oils

Post by Tioli »

Don’t tell anyone but over the years I have used all kinds of oils in four and two strokes. I have read a lot about it over the years and how the allowable additives keep changing to more environmentally responsible alternatives. Most of the details on codes/what the letters signify I have forgotten as they keep changing but I do remember weight to tolerances and temperature. I have used Mobile1 in bikes and waited for the clutch to slip but it never did.
2001 KX125 with a 1997 KDX Tioli Hp motor

My KDX journey starts at the bottom of this page:
http://www.trials.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... &start=160

Trials.com.au / Forum / All about...me! / My long time friend the prancing horse / page 9