OEM Wrist Pin and Wiseco

Got questions? We got answers....
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

OEM Wrist Pin and Wiseco

Post by KDX220PHIL »

Will the OEM piston pin fit a wiseco piston? The O.D. of the pin and I.D. of the bearing should be the same fit, so I would think it would, right? are the lengths different and may not fit between the circlips?

I would normally buy a new one with the piston but I have the opportunity to get a wiseco piston kit fairly cheap without the pin. I was hoping to use the one that is currenlty on my bike considering it has very low hours.
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

If the OEM doesn't fit you should be able to buy a new wrist pin directly from Wiseco. They sold wrist pins, circlips and ring sets seperate from their 'kits'.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Get the kit and test fit the OEM wrist pin. If it doesn't work order the wiseco wrist pin.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I doubt it will fit....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I wouldn't use it either way.

Considering what it takes to get you to the wrist pin work-wise..and the possible bad things that would come with a pin failure...why bother?

That's up there with pin clips, rod bearings and some other 'stuff'. If it's worth my time to replace a piston and assorted related hardware, it's surely worth my time to use a new pin. Especially when changing piston brands.

Not that you asked about that...but thar 'ya go anyway! :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

If I remember correctly, the Wiesco piston kit comes with a new wrist pin in the kit. What it does'nt have is the connecting rod /wristpin bearing. I went ahead and replaced that with a new one also while I was in there on everyones advice here and I'm glad I did.
GS

Post by GS »

Just curious..but I don't think I've ever heard of a piston pin failing. Nor have I ever observed anything REALLY wrong with the one I habitually toss into the garbage. Do I need to get out more?
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

I have never heard of a pin failing either, the pin (if it is anything like my other bike's pin) appears to be made from a high strength, heat treated steel, and I have doubts that you could break it easily. I think it is more likely to rip through an aluminum piston than it is to break or shatter. And the bearing is by far the week point. Personally, unless someone can convince me otherwise, I would be more concerned with replacing that bearing than the pin.

So why are they replaced so often? I suppose if the bearing fails and scores the pin, but under normal circumstances? maybe becasue they are cheap?
Why not replace the connecting rod and crank pin while you're at it?

And BTW what about those wiseco circlips, why do they make them so difficult to replace? Whats wrong with the OEM ones found on Yamaha's with the little hook to remove and replace much eaiser? I think I may buy a set of these, unless there are any concerns with them too.

I'll buy the correct pin, but I will try the OEM one for fit and feedback, also I will take my old piston & pin and conduct a little test, becasue I do believe that pin is the strongest part of the setup.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

There is a reason it is replaced so often...and recommended to BE replaced so often.

It's a vast wrist pin conspiracy!

I think I'll re-use an old one on my next top-end...just to mess with'em!!

I'll show them!! :blink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I look at it like this... as long as I'm in there... I might as well replace all the wear items I can. The wrist pin is fairly cheap and real easy to replace since you have to remove the old one anyway.... why not? :?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
RBD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RBD »

:grin: ....and they usually come with the new piston kit anyways Pro-X or Wiseco.

An other thing is replacing the piston pin bearing (about $13.00) as those little needles take a beating on that small pin. The main rod bearing is quit large compared to the piston bearing.
GS

Post by GS »

"It's a vast wrist pin conspiracy!

I think I'll re-use an old one on my next top-end...just to mess with'em!!

I'll show them!!"

I'm with you Carvr. Bust that conspiracy! Would you mind lettin me know how it works out? Cause, I'm just way too chicken not to put a new one in. I mean ...what would ya do with the new one if ya didn't stick it in anyway?

Those little needle bearings always look like they've seen some honest work and maybe, just maybe, they'll fit/work a little better on a new pin. :rolleyes: :wink: