was a new chain needed for a 13/48 sprocket set

Got questions? We got answers....
BigH
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by BigH »

Running stock 13/47 setup but both sprocket are worn & I am replacing them. I have an O ring chain. I believe its in good shape because its still at the low end of adjustment (not stretched). Do a lot of hill & mountain rides on a lot of cole along with rocks & dirt & prefer more low end. Would I need to purchase a new chain with the 48 sprocket or would it be long enough? I read a thread where some like the renthal sprocket & others the supersprox. I believe the latter comes with a lifetime guarantee? Whattathink?
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

I put a 13/49 on mine and used a 110 link chain it's in the middle of adjustment range. 108 is stock chain I think you might use the standard chain with a 13/48 adjusted all the way forward but haven't tried it myself. To see how worn your chain is pull it away from the rear sprocket at the very rear of the sprocket, if it pulls away very much it is worn. I personally would replace all three items at once as an old chain will wear your new sprockets prematurely.
BigH
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: was a new chain needed for a 13/48 sprocket set

Post by BigH »

Thanks, I have since decided to go 13/49. Your positive on the 110 link #? if so I can have the shop that ordered the sprockets & chain take 2 links out. He wasn't sure so he ordered a 112. Thanks, H
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: was a new chain needed for a 13/48 sprocket set

Post by doakley »

I run 13/49 on my 220. I honestly don't know the exact number of links. I bought the chain a tad long and cut it to fit. 112 should work but I suggest you not cut the chain until you get ready to put it on the bike. I agree you should use a new chain with new sprockets.