Clutch issue

Got questions? We got answers....
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Clutch issue

Post by JFortner5 »

I recently bought this bike, but I was riding it today for a little while and at first everything was fine. After riding it for about 10-15 minutes it became hard to get into neutral. After a little longer it became impossible to get into neutral unless I was rolling or had the engine off. I also can not start the bike in gear. Another thing I noticed is that when idling in first with the clutch in it seems to pull the motor down a little bit.

I have not changed the transmission oil yet, I know I need to and should have already. Can old/incorrect fluid cause my problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joey

2003 KDX 220R
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Re: Clutch issue

Post by Jaguar »

you need to take a file to the notches in the clutch basket that the plates have made. That causes clutch drag.
This is assuming there is no tension in the clutch cable when you are not touching the clutch lever.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
gabegarcia

Post by gabegarcia »

My damned cable broke today,Lol.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

atf works really well and prevents some of the problems heavier oils will have with clutch drag.

I would suspect the basket is notched like Jaguar said, is very common.

if you put a full quart in it will make the kips/clutch quieter.
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

If the basket was notched wouldn't it be hard all the time? It was just once it got hot.

I'm still gonna take it apart and check it though.

Joey

2003 KDX 220R
bone7615

Post by bone7615 »

I need to file down my clutch basket also. I have had similar problems but not as bad. Its a good cheap place to start
If you had a choice to date supermodels for the rest of your life or ride dirt bikes, would you choose a 2-stroke or a 4-stroke?
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

JFortner5 wrote:If the basket was notched wouldn't it be hard all the time? It was just once it got hot.

I'm still gonna take it apart and check it though.

sounds like the oil needs changing. since it's of unknown age right now, it's a good idea to get it good and warm from riding, then dump it and replace with a quart of rotella or ATF.

the thicker the oil, the more 'creep' you'll have and more difficult getting into neutral, from the plates tendancy to pull against each other via the oil viscosity.

i like atf. so far
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

I'm gonna pick up some type f on the way home today.

Joey

2003 KDX 220R
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

I changed the fluid and finally had time to ride today. It shifts much better and goes into neutral no problem. I ended up using some 10w40 I had in the garage. I'm going to change it again soon just to flush it out.

How do you guys get all of the old stuff to drain out? I usually like to run a little more than the recommended 700ml but I was over the glass window at 650-ish.

Joey

2003 KDX 220R
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

JFortner5 wrote:I changed the fluid and finally had time to ride today. It shifts much better and goes into neutral no problem. I ended up using some 10w40 I had in the garage. I'm going to change it again soon just to flush it out.

How do you guys get all of the old stuff to drain out? I usually like to run a little more than the recommended 700ml but I was over the glass window at 650-ish.

I tilt it left and right, after a nice warm up ride, while draining the oil.