Carb changes '88 to '92? Jetting guesses

Got questions? We got answers....
KanuckKDX

Carb changes '88 to '92? Jetting guesses

Post by KanuckKDX »

We have gutted my '92 and replaced all the bearings we could. He tells me the main bearing was shot and there is one bearing related to the water pump that is really rough.

KIPS was really dirty, plug was really bad so we think we've been running rich. I have some aftermarket pipe(FMF but I don't know what model) with a FMF silencer that needs re-packing.

We have 45 and 155 jets I think. We have specs for the '88 we thought were perfect and we wanted to start there but this carb is different than the '88. This suprised him.

I read the jetting info here and I know jetting is a finicky task. It looks identical to the process for my XR, although I suspect my KDX is more forgiving (my XR is gross either rich or lean).

We ride from 4000 to 6000 feet and generally we're fair weather bikers, so it's always over 50 degrees F.

What do you guess about my jetting? Am I close? Should I start one size smaller on the main?

We'll start with the pilot obviously and get the air screw set. But if you have some advice or guesses let me know.
KanuckKDX
'01 YZ426F son's
'02 XR400 still for sale
'04 KTM 450exc it's all about the e-start
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I'd start with a 150 or 152 main and a 40 pilot. You should have 145, 148, 150, 152 and 155 main's. 38, 40, 42 and 45 pilots in your tool box. Are you still running the stock needle? In your stock E series carb a CGK needle in the #1 or #2 position will be a real wake up along with the leaner jetting.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

Do you foul plugs?
Did the kips gears was worn?
Will they split the crankcase and replace the main bearings?
What your plug looks like?

OH. I run the stock needle 2nd clip from the top with a 48pilot and a 165 main jet.

Everybody tells me I am a way too rich with the 165 but I never fouled a plug and my plug is tan color and no spooge anywhere. I doubt you are on the rich side.But you do not have the stock carb so you will need to play with the jetting jets and make plug chop.
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
KanuckKDX

Post by KanuckKDX »

>|<>QBB<
kdxquebec wrote:Do you foul plugs?
Did the kips gears was worn?
Will they split the crankcase and replace the main bearings?
What your plug looks like?

OH. I run the stock needle 2nd clip from the top with a 48pilot and a 165 main jet.

Everybody tells me I am a way too rich with the 165 but I never fouled a plug and my plug is tan color and no spooge anywhere. I doubt you are on the rich side.But you do not have the stock carb so you will need to play with the jetting jets and make plug chop.
I get my information from the guru who does my work. He owned a bunch of KDX in that era and never a '92. We thought they would all have the same carb but never looked it up to see. How do you know I don't have a stock carb? I could ask him what carb it is but haven't.

He told me about the KIPS and the plug. Since he is a mechanic by trade, raced XC, worked on dozens and dozens of 2-strokes, bleeds green, I trust him when he tells me we're rich. But I never had plug problems riding. This is the second KDX of this era he has replaced bearings on in the past 10 months. He owes me - so I pay parts only.

If the KIPS gear was worn, we would replace it. Since I didn't have to buy KIPS gear, it must be okay. We have replaced all the bearings and he went back in to check the water pump bearings and found it real rough. He brought it in to me and I could barely get it moving over the rough spots.

In order to buy jets I will need to know the carb so I will post it when I know.

But next week is a slow one, so I am planning on servicing my XR4. I love working on it. Routine annual service.

Merry Christmas in case this is my last post. Joyeux Noel Philippe.
KanuckKDX
'01 YZ426F son's
'02 XR400 still for sale
'04 KTM 450exc it's all about the e-start
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

How do you know I don't have a stock carb?+++++++

sorry I did not read correctly! You have the stock carb but with 1988 jetting specs.

:wink:

The guru seems to be a guy you can trust.

merry xmas to you!
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.