19 inch wheel help

Got questions? We got answers....
Kawaman

19 inch wheel help

Post by Kawaman »

I bought a kdx 200 cheap because they blew back hub apart. I found a 19 inch wheel same hub etc, should I put the 19 on kdx 250 and take that 18 inch wheel, or put the 19 on the 200. can I take the 19 inch hub and relace to 18 inch rim??
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

19 inch wheel help

Post by pumpguy »

Can't say for sure about fitting the larger back wheel except to say that it will result is less clearance between the tire and fender. Also, will hike up the rear, and change the fork rake to a steeper angle.

Don't see why you couldn't lace up the 18" rim to the hub; they both have 36 holes, right?
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

19 inch wheel help

Post by Tedh98 »

pumpguy wrote:Can't say for sure about fitting the larger back wheel except to say that it will result is less clearance between the tire and fender. Also, will hike up the rear, and change the fork rake to a steeper angle.
Actually with most tires, the OD or height difference between a 19" and 18" is negligible. What is different is the amount of sidewall. The 18" tire has more sidewall and you are less likely to get a pinch flat. Also more selection of trials tires for the 18" if that is of interest to you.
Kawaman

Re: 19 inch wheel help

Post by Kawaman »

so i should be able to relace it then? im actually thinking about buying a h model 200 for around 1000 this bike would be a lot of money to fix her up I appreciate the replys from yall thought I was spinning my wheels posting lol thank you again
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 19 inch wheel help

Post by Tyl3r »

Ted is correct, I thought the same, but these guys set me straight lol

Also, I don't know exactly about your situation, I would try searching around a bit more to make sure, but I think you could lace the hub to the KDX rim (assuming its a kawi). I don't think those hole distances and angles have changed much in the rims over the years, as long as its the same number of spokes. A hard part could be finding the right spoke kit. I am lacing a KX125 hub to a KDX 18" rear rim right now with no issues. Others have done it here as well (found it by searching around).
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike