more silencer re-packing questions

Got questions? We got answers....
bws2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bws2 »

I have an '01 KDX200 with an FMF Gnarly pipe and an FMF Turbine Core 2 silencer.

I'm doing my first silencer repack and have a couple questions.

When I pulled out the old packing today, it was totally saturated with oil spooge.

I also noticed that the silencer was wrapped with a layer of steel wool, followed by some kind of screen (sort of like window screen)
Then on top of that was the fiberglass packing.

Do I need to keep that steel wool, and screen or can I just use the fiber glass only?
If I do need the steel wool, should I replace it, since it's pretty saturated too?

The last question is I noticed that the lower allen screw that holds the can to the pipe was a little loose, I tried to tighten it, but it won't fully tighten. It this okay? Should I put a little silicon or thread locker on it?

Thanks again for helping with this. It seems everything I do on this bike has me baffled at some point.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

There should be no steel wool or screen inside a Turbine Core silencer. It should only have standard 2T silencer packing material.

Does it look like the following pic from the outlet?

And not like this?

As for the screw, put some high temp silicone on it and it should be fine.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
bws2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: more silencer re-packing questions

Post by bws2 »

Thanks SS.

Just to clarify, the steel wool and screen extended the entire length of the perforated pipe (10-12 inches) and then had fiberglass packing on top.
It didn't look factory since both the steel wood and screen were cut crooked in places.

I'm having problems figuring out which picture it looks more like, since the end of the muffler (spark arrestor?) is riveted on and I wasn't able to remove it. Is there something else I should be checking?

Also, I have 4 stroke FMF packing, is it okay to use that on my bike?
MarioM3

Post by MarioM3 »

I just packed my powercore, same design (riveted on exhaust end). I used 2 stroke packing, you can use 4 stroke but I think you may have to change 4 stroke packing more often when used. But I do believe the steel wool/screen material is not stock. Just make sure you clean the perforated pipe as best as you can (all holes should be open). I used a wire brush with parts cleaner, worked well. When reinstalling use some good high temp silicone.

Mario
bws2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bws2 »

MarioM3 wrote:I just packed my powercore, same design (riveted on exhaust end). I used 2 stroke packing, you can use 4 stroke but I think you may have to change 4 stroke packing more often when used. But I do believe the steel wool/screen material is not stock. Just make sure you clean the perforated pipe as best as you can (all holes should be open). I used a wire brush with parts cleaner, worked well. When reinstalling use some good high temp silicone.

Mario
Thank you, Mario. One thing that surprised me is how good the perforated pipe looked. No holes were plugged. Maybe the steel wool had something to do with that.