Replacing Barrel on 98 KDX200

Got questions? We got answers....
NewZealandKDX

Post by NewZealandKDX »

Hi guys long time lurker first time poster..

I've owned a couple of KDX's and absolutely love them but can't find the info I need for this problem.

I recently blew a piston whilst out riding and it's scarred the barrel quite badly, I'm based in NZ and it's going to cost $400-600 to either replate the barrel or put a sleeve in it.

One of my mates has a KDX 200 he is thinking about parting out, it still runs fine but body is a bit rough, (he thinks it's a 1994 model as it has USD forks).

Would the barrel of this model straight swap into mine for a bit of a quick fix? or are the dimensions way out? can't seem to find the info anywhere. He said I could have it for free if it does. Also would the forks swap in to? I might have to buy them but could be worth it for resale.

Cheers in advance for the help!

BA
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

NewZealandKDX wrote:Hi guys long time lurker first time poster..

I've owned a couple of KDX's and absolutely love them but can't find the info I need for this problem.

I recently blew a piston whilst out riding and it's scarred the barrel quite badly, I'm based in NZ and it's going to cost $400-600 to either replate the barrel or put a sleeve in it.

One of my mates has a KDX 200 he is thinking about parting out, it still runs fine but body is a bit rough, (he thinks it's a 1994 model as it has USD forks).

Would the barrel of this model straight swap into mine for a bit of a quick fix? or are the dimensions way out? can't seem to find the info anywhere. He said I could have it for free if it does. Also would the forks swap in to? I might have to buy them but could be worth it for resale.

Cheers in advance for the help!

BA
Welcome to the forums.

No. It won't work on the cylinder. Try to buy a used one off eBay USA and have it sent to a USA replater, then on to you. You might be able to get one from Millenium Technologies already plated. That, or try Jeff Fredette at frpoffroad.

On the forks, you will need the triple clamps and the forks. I would also take a long look at the wheel and front brake system.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
SockswithSandals

Re: Replacing Barrel on 98 KDX200

Post by SockswithSandals »

New cylinders can be had for less than $600USD so you might consider that route if replating is as expensive.