Same old FMF pipe question.

Got questions? We got answers....
Energy47

Post by Energy47 »

I purchased a 95 KDX 200. It seems to be in great condition except the FMF pipe has seen better days, so I want to buy a new one. I've seen Fredettes web site and his recommendations. I'm a fairly experienced rider in the hills of Southern Ohio. How much difference is there between the woods pipe and the desert pipe? I want both, top end and low end and I'm leaning towards the desert pipe... and kind of assuming the bike will have pretty good low end with the desert pipe and my experience will help make up the difference. Or, do I want the woods pipe and all of the low end?
Chilly

Re: Same old FMF pipe question.

Post by Chilly »

I personally like having more bottom end. I'm in central Kentucky so I mostly ride up and down hills and hollers so I need the bottom end.
ecojbr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ecojbr »

Think of it this way. Woods=kdx200 Desert=kx125. Now not exactly that way. There's not alot if any loss of low end from the desert, but definitely a on\off hit.
04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

I have had both pipes on the 200 and the 220 well actually the pc platinum on the 220. I like the desert pipe or pc on both bikes and I'm an average rider but have always had two strokes and like the hit you get with the desert or pc pipe. The woods pipe makes good power just stays nice and smooth as you rev the bike out especially on the 220. if you like the hit and more top end get the desert or pc pipe.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

canamfan wrote:I have had both pipes on the 200 and the 220 well actually the pc platinum on the 220. I like the desert pipe or pc on both bikes and I'm an average rider but have always had two strokes and like the hit you get with the desert or pc pipe. The woods pipe makes good power just stays nice and smooth as you rev the bike out especially on the 220. if you like the hit and more top end get the desert or pc pipe.
It sounds like the Pro Circuit pipe is pretty similar to the FMF desert pipe?
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

I think it is. You can feel the difference when you ride the bike size wise between the desert and woods pipes the desert or pc are fatter and you can feel it with your knee when riding. I noticed this when riding harescrambles and you get up on the tank for better front wheel traction. After I switched to the desert or pc pipe I would burn my leg right by the side of my knee. I didn't have any problem with the woods pipe doing that, but I would still use the desert pipe.
Energy47

Post by Energy47 »

ecojbr wrote:Think of it this way. Woods=kdx200 Desert=kx125. Now not exactly that way. There's not alot if any loss of low end from the desert, but definitely a on\off hit.
OK, this is the type of answer I'm looking for. So, to be clear, in the lower rpm range the desert pipe has the same or close to the same low end as the woods pipe, but at some point in the mid-range/top end it has that great two stroke hit?
Richkdx

Post by Richkdx »

Chilly wrote:I personally like having more bottom end. I'm in central Kentucky so I mostly ride up and down hills and hollers so I need the bottom end.
What part of KY? I'm in Falls of Rough..

I too ride mostly woods with my KDX and am in the market for a new pipe. Sounds like to woods pipe is they way to go for what we have around here.