Lost power and no kips:(

Got questions? We got answers....
Otoko Retoro

Post by Otoko Retoro »

Finally got around to getting my exhaust seated properly and adjusted the mounts to suit. No more bogging :)

About a week later the kdx went really quiet and the valves stopped opening. There's always been a rattle up front but now it's doing it when you come off full throttle. Its stopped ticking over by itself too.
On a long journey yesterday with no kips "boost" at all, something went bang and what sounded like something loose in the barrel then freed up.

Have my kips well and truly died? How do I check?
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Re: Lost power and no kips:(

Post by Jaguar »

ha! that's not your KIPS but something much more serious. Time to take it all apart to inspect everything.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
Otoko Retoro

Post by Otoko Retoro »

Im scared to death of touching the insides, Im used to vespa/lambretta where things are a bit simpler. There is a slight oil leak coming from the kips arm cover boot. but its been there since I had it.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

It's a 2 stroke. About as simple as it gets. Pull the cylinder and have a look.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

ha! good point Julien.
If a two stroke is too complex then there are always bicycles and skateboards.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
TheRadBaron
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by TheRadBaron »

In defense of the OP, a liquid-cooled 2-stroke with exhaust power valves is starting to go up in complexity quite a bit from the good old air-cooled piston port motors with no PVs. Our KIPS systems that we love are relatively complex mechanisms and not the most intuitive thing to work on.
Not that I'm implying in any way that it's too complex to work on or that anyone should be afraid to tear into one. Tear into that thing, Otoko! Just make sure that you have a manual and do it in a slow and organized fashion. Post back your findings. Good luck.
JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

If you do take it apart it's very important to remember that the nut holding the little gear pawl on the KIPS shaft is a left hand thread, and to support the shaft while removing it.

Other than that these things are really easy to take apart, just take your time. Even without a manual there are plenty of resources to help you get it back together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joey

2003 KDX 220R
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

again, it's not the KIPS
TheRadBaron
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by TheRadBaron »

Right. But you still have to disassemble the KIPS system to "take it all apart and inspect everything".
Otoko Retoro

Post by Otoko Retoro »

To be honest, the main fear is being without transport while I dabble. Or finding its something expensive
adam728
Supporting Member

Post by adam728 »

Otoko Retoro wrote:To be honest, the main fear is being without transport while I dabble. Or finding its something expensive
If the power valve already failed, and crap is banging, rattling, and clunking, then you should already be without transportation. Continuing to run the engine with a known mechanical failure is just begging to ruin other parts and start rocketing the repair cost.
Otoko Retoro

Post by Otoko Retoro »

To be honest, I was hoping someone would have made a comment saying I'd screwed up putting the exhaust back, maybe too much gasket sealant gumming the kips up or similar.

I'll open it up next weekend as I'm away in London for valentines, the real reason I wont open it is because my dealership is 30 miles away so if i screw something else up I am literally stuck!
as for using my brain,

maybe the actuator arm in the clutch housing broke off?
Maybe the loss of power is due to a broken piston ring and I cant actually get 6000 rpm to open the powervalve. I could wire my Scitsu up to check that :)
Maybe its both or the cdi or spark plug are shagged.

Obviously i need to open it, but if I can get away with opening the clutch cover instead of doing a full engine teardown that would be a step in the right direction.

Can I get the jug off without dropping the engine? Im guessing no
Can i actuate the Kips arm manually or do I have to undo the pawl nut? I believe there is spring tension too

ps me getting my hands dirty

JFortner5
Supporting Member

Post by JFortner5 »

I've never had the right side cover off so I can't tell you much about that, but you can get the jug off without removing the whole engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joey

2003 KDX 220R
Otoko Retoro

Post by Otoko Retoro »

Ok listen up. I finally got to look at it, i took the exhaust off and tipped the bits out.....
The bit that has been rattling around the expansion chamber is half the kips valve, broken in two and very worn out. How is this even possible?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Its not only possible, but quite common.