KIPS Nut

Got questions? We got answers....
IndyKDX

KIPS Nut

Post by IndyKDX »

Hello all,

1995 KDX 200

I purchased this bike a couple months ago as a winter project and started in on it. Rode it a little but ran pretty crappy. It did make pretty good power though, but could immediately tell a few things were off, so I dove in.... when I got it, it was what pretty clear it had not maintained at all, but I paid next to nothing for it so....... :rolleyes:

Just sent out the head and carb to RB - looking forward to getting those back! Anyway, I was going to go ahead and pull the jug while I had the head off and do the KIPS valve cleaning and inspection and inspect the piston. Looks like this had been done in the past at some point, and the piston looks too good to be the original. Top of the piston looked great with a good burn profile. Didn't see any scoring in the cylinder from the top or front exhaust port. When I took the right side cover off to pull the KIPS shaft apart and remove the jug the PO had completely rounded off the nut for the shaft. :evil: :evil: I cant break this thing loose. While supporting the shaft with a 6mm, I put vise grips on the nut and still couldn't budge it because I cant get a good grip on the nut, just keeps rounding more! And yes, I know its a LH thread. Any suggestions to get this freaking nut off? Any great tools I don't know about? I don't really want to throw the torch at it yet.... Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
bultaco4ever
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

KIPS Nut

Post by bultaco4ever »

Someone may have used the black Loctite threadlocking glue. (there is blue, red, black) The black requires heat to get it to let go. Try torching the nut....don't go crazy....and then try the vice grips again.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: KIPS Nut

Post by Tedh98 »

Agree that a non-blue loctite may have been used. That nut shouldn't be that difficult to remove.

Can you see any of the threads that are sticking up past the nut? I ask because I once bought a 1986 KX250 that had some "interesting" work done to it. One of the more frustrating things is that someone must have broke the KIPS shaft thinking it was a RH thread. They had it repaired to be a RH thread. It is a longshot, but if the PO has been in there doing maintenance, you never know. . .
Jim B

KIPS Nut

Post by Jim B »

IndyKDX wrote:Any suggestions to get this freaking nut off? Any great tools I don't know about? I don't really want to throw the torch at it yet....
If the heat/Vise-Grips thing doesn't work, I think I'd use a Dremel to carefully grind away one or two parts of the nut. (Maybe grind on one side, then grind on the other.) Of course, if you do this be mindful of where the (metal) grinding dust goes.
marco220
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

KIPS Nut

Post by marco220 »

I would heat the heck out of the nut NOT the threads. You're trying to expand the nut slightly. I've had more success with Mapp gas over propane.

Get those vice grips as tight as possible and slowly work it back and forth. Repeat.
2002 KDX 220
RB'd Carb and Head

I don't crash often... but when I do, I'm going for style points!
IndyKDX

Post by IndyKDX »

Thanks all. I didn't get a chance to get to it last night but will tonight. Going to start with a little heat and if that doesn't work going to remodel off 2 sides of the nut and try that. It is what looks like black locktite on the threads, and they are still indeed LH.

wish me luck!
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

IndyKDX wrote:wish me luck!
You'll need it! :busted:
IndyKDX

Post by IndyKDX »

Never did get a chance to reply back. A little heat from my trusty torch, and finally got that dang nut off! Now time for KIPS tear down and cleaning.