225 pipe

Got questions? We got answers....
ecojbr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

225 pipe

Post by ecojbr »

What pipe is everyone running on there 225? Waiting on weather to try the new motor and curiosity while waiting is getting to me.
04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 225 pipe

Post by B737driver »

I am running the pro circuit. I bought it new for my hybrid and previously had the FMF woods pipe. I made some other mods at the same time (frp torque ring and a lectron carb) so it's hard to compare the 2 straight up. I really like the power now. It's much more linear and it rips. I don't think you sacrifice much off the bottom with the PC.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
ecojbr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ecojbr »

How does it feel on the big bore?
04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

Here was my review of the Eric Gorr 225 with the FMF woods pipe.

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... lit=Eg+225

Like I say, I made some other mods at the same time that I built the hybrid so I can't really compare the FMF woods to the Pro Circuit acurately. However, the power is even more linear (4T like). This is most likely due to the Lectron carb, I think.

Either pipe I'm certain is fine and I think you'll feel a welcome and noticeable improvement with the 225. Look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
ecojbr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ecojbr »

Stupid weather!! Gonna be nice this weekend but we have the awards banquet for our race series so its another week
04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

225 pipe

Post by Tioli »

Any luck and you will have to gear it up to get any sense out of it.
2001 KX125 with a 1997 KDX Tioli Hp motor

My KDX journey starts at the bottom of this page:
http://www.trials.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... &start=160

Trials.com.au / Forum / All about...me! / My long time friend the prancing horse / page 9
ecojbr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

225 pipe

Post by ecojbr »

Most likely gonna need to. But in the short time I put on it today. It seems my low end has been mistakenly put in with my mid range. Little sluggish off the bottom then look out here it comes. Need more time to make a good decision.
04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

225 pipe

Post by Tioli »

Ok that's a problem. What have they done, what has changed.

You haven't sold that RB carb have you?

Trials.com.au / Forum / All about...me! / My long time friend the prancing horse / page 9
ecojbr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ecojbr »

At this point I can't say for sure if it something they have done or me. Tonight I will verify several things, powervalve timing ignition timing etc. Tomorrow I will recruit the best local two stroke mec. around. But I will call Eric to check turn around time in the case it must go back and pick his brain.
04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

225 pipe

Post by Tioli »

I have found its no use picking brains unless you have all relevant facts at hand even a few postulations.

If you have run the barrels through your hands enough you know your own work or at least it's shape. Then when it's touched by some one else it's noticeable. So what has changed and what does that potentially mean.

ecojbr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ecojbr »

His MO Better porting is nothing more than a good clean up and match. The only thing I saw was the boost port was a tad higher on one side. I called him on it and he was more than happy to fix it. But with race season approaching rather quickly I told him I would run it this season and then return it. I saw nothing that should be causing this issue from the bore/porting. Yes I sold the RB carb as I despise turning air screws throughout the day. Mine would be rather finicky from early morning to heat of the day. Sometimes making idle difficult without adjustment. Hence the reason for the new airstryker. Had one on my 250 and my son is still racing his. We change jetting from spring to fall/ hot to cold. One time per year is very convenient.
04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

225 pipe

Post by Tioli »

Do you mean the singalong rear boost port is higher on one side? The only way to match is go higher on the other side and that changes every thing. The more the rear ports flow and earlier the more it's moving towards top end.

I don't know any thing about the airstryker other than the pictures. With out knowing I would say it's better at atomising fuel across the range. For that reason better than a normal one.
The RB carb party trick is that splitter plate. Which is going to confine the incoming below the plate till half throttle. This will help stop expansion after the slide and keep the air speed up for better stuffing at low rpm.
I know what you mean with having to adjust the air screw once maybe twice. I would say by about 1/8 to 1/4 turn after a hour or so into the ride or so. I have accepted this as the price you pay for the improved efficiency / jet sensitively.

You may have improved your mid/top end but left the very bottom end more or less normal so now with out the RB carb it's more noticeable

There are a few ways to tune that out.

ecojbr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ecojbr »

Yes you are correct. You can adjust the angle for a small correction to keep fuel lower. Most likely have to lower cylinder also
04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

225 pipe

Post by Tioli »

Yes but on a new barrel and I don't even want to think about all the steps in lowering the barrel.

Was the original barrel a 200 or 220?

I'm more thinking of sharpening a flat spot by advance the timing as far as your game.
Add a torque ring. I don't know how much you would feel one of those manufactured 5mm ones. You could make one like mine but 20mm and you have a new pipe.
Iridium plug
Thinner reeds if that's a option and have a good look at the reed tip area to see that there are no lips to upset flow for a shorter opening duration.
Packing will make better use of less flow at Lowe revs.
I have used devcon in ports before to redirect flow. There is a process to that but it's and option.
Reduce the rear boost port flow.
Careful attention to low end jetting.

A easier way is:
RB seems to like calling every thing experimental. Send your airstryker off to be plated and have a true experimental carb. I don't have a airstryker in my hand but have a feeling I may alter it slightly for that first and possibly later after testing.

Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

ecojbr wrote:The only thing I saw was the boost port was a tad higher on one side. I called him on it and he was more than happy to fix it. But with race season approaching rather quickly I told him I would run it this season and then return it. I saw nothing that should be causing this issue from the bore/porting.
Sorry to hear you found that discrepancy.

Did you send him your only cylinder/head or do you have a back-up?
ecojbr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ecojbr »

Ok. Here is what went on. Pulled pipe and indeed found powervalves open. Removed cover,removed left handed nut. Instantly the govener arm snapped shut. Couldn't turn gear by hand. Removed cylinder and piece by piece removed powervalve components till I found the sticky part. There is an print on the right side rod that runs the sublet valve that was apparently oversized and not letting it move. Removed oring and reassembled. Now I have found out why everyone loves this set up!! Bike will now from a dead stop with the Ted H rekluse pull the front wheel with a turn of the throttle. Switched to the rev pipe with no feel of any bottom loss. Faster revving for sure. Not sure I will have any need for the lighter flywheel but will give it a trail test for sure. Now I am very happy with this set up.
04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Great to hear!
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

225 pipe

Post by Tioli »

Oh, power valve bad. Well glad you found the problem as no amount of tinkering was going to fix that :rolleyes:

Do you know what piston they use in the 225 setup?
The reason I ask is I'm not that big a fan of forged Pistons only because of the weight. With a 220 forged piston in a 200 barrel it still has its liking to rev which is where a cast piston could be better. Just speculating.

ecojbr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ecojbr »

Wiseco is what he supplies. Never looked to see what else is available in a 1mm over 220.
04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

225 pipe

Post by B737driver »

Glad you got it worked out. Hate that you had issues. Fortunately mine was right from the start. I was thinking that it might be a 220 vs 200 thing. Mine was a 200 and I never had low end like I do now vs yours being a 220 and we all know that their low end is remarkable. Hopefully you gained some mid and top. I certainly like the power that it's making way above and beyond what I had before.

Good luck this season.
Last edited by B737driver on 01:08 am Jan 31 2016, edited 1 time in total.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live