Rough running after crash - Input please

Got questions? We got answers....
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I was involved in a pretty nasty crash this weekend. Guy hit me from behind so hard it bent his left radiator and the guard/brace for it on my thigh. I've been laid up for a few days now but it appears, thankfully, no serious damage to myself. Just going to be off the bike for a few. :cry: Oh, if you want to see what happened, from my perspective, here you go: http://www.youtube.com/v/dZ2hDl7jnxw That's a really short clip without the part where I was very pissed off. :mrgreen:

Anyway, my bike suffered some injuries. My right IMS Pro series peg is bent slightly forward and my silencer is pushed in and hits the tire now. The big problem is that my bike lost power. Riding it back to the truck it was weak everywhere and won't rev out. I checked the plug when I got back to my truck, it's good. However, the plug wire came out of the boot. Put it back in and it still ran like crap. I'm going to replace it no matter what. Just looking for ideas on what you think it might be. I won't be working on it for few, since I'm hurt, but I want to get ideas/experiences from you guys. I will be checking all wiring but what else could cause this?
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
jeswinehart
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jeswinehart »

First off glad to hear you are mending up well !
I would suspect the muffler right away since it got wadded up a bit. not able to breath out so to speak.
Hopefully it will be that simple.
john
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Rough running after crash - Input please

Post by B737driver »

Sorry to hear.....I once was involved in a similar deal, KTM radiator shroud to the thigh then took out my bars and we balled up. No fun and lots of "frustration" on my part. Why don't guys look beyond their from tire?

I too think there must be a kink in the exhaust somewhere preventing proper airflow. Interested to see what you figure out.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Rough running after crash/trans issue - Input please

Post by SS109 »

Well, the running problem turned out to be just the plug wire thankfully. Engine runs great now. However, one major problem. Now my bike won't stay in gear. If I hold the shifter down or up I can keep it in gear but when I take my foot away it goes in to a false neutral. Anyone have experience with this issue?
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Is there a spring in the right side for just neutral or for all gears? I am getting old in my old age.

Glad it was not worse on you. :bravo:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Tioli »

There are two springs.

One to centralise the gear leaver back to centre when you use your foot to move it up or down.
The other small one is for the roller that encourages selector drum to stop in its required place and not rest just before or after the proper gear selection.

If you bend the shaft it could be binding a little and not letting it sit in the exact required space.

I Don't think it's possible to externally wack the motor hard enough externally to dislodge the springs so I would suspect the gear shaft first.

This is not that much of a problem as its easy enough to pull a gear leaver shaft out as long as it's not bent to much. You just need to take the bigger clutch cover off, most likely the clutch basket and it's all exposed.

If the shaft is bent you may be able to straighten it and put in a new seal while you are at it.
2001 KX125 with a 1997 KDX Tioli Hp motor

My KDX journey starts at the bottom of this page:
http://www.trials.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... &start=160

Trials.com.au / Forum / All about...me! / My long time friend the prancing horse / page 9
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

Glad to hear you two are mending up nicely.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I do believe I have found my transmission problem. This little bundle of joy is the shift drum detent spring. Awesome, easy fix! :supz: However, where is the rest of it? Well, somewhere inside my transmission. :shock: Ugh!

Another question since I'm in there, is this how the KIPS pin that engages the governor normally look? I know on the E it is completely round. Thanks.

'11 GasGas EC250R
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

SS109 wrote:Another question since I'm in there, is this how the KIPS pin that engages the governor normally look? I know on the E it is completely round. Thanks.

Should be round. Looks like you caught that one before it turned into a bigger repair. Not completely uncommon for it to break apart - scroll down on this post http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... hilit=+pin
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Thanks, Ted. I had a feeling it should be round as well. I really wish more E and H series parts interchanged. I have the E series pin but it's a different part #. Oh well.

Some other good news. I managed to fish out the remaining part of the spring so no splitting the cases! Woohoo!
'11 GasGas EC250R