Spooge - does it mean a jetting problem?

Got questions? We got answers....
bws2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bws2 »

I tried starting '01 KDX200 bike this morning (it was about 40 degrees) Kicked 10 times wouldn't start. Pulled the plug, it was wet with fuel.
Put in a different plug and it started fine. Dried off the original plug, and installed it a couple hours later. The bike started fine.

Took the bike for a 30 minute ride on logging roads, got to wide open throttle a few times.

When finished the ride, I noticed spooge had dropped down onto the swing arm, rear break caliper housing, an a little on the rear tire sidewall.
Looks like it came from one of the little bolts in the bottom of the FMF silencer. I've had lots of spooge before at the end of the silencer, but never seen it dripping all over other part of the bike

My question is does all indicate that the jetting is too rich? I've got the original jets in the bike.
ecojbr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Spooge - does it mean a jetting problem?

Post by ecojbr »

Is the bike new to you or has the spooge just started? Most likely jetting but don't rule out low compression.
04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200
bws2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Spooge - does it mean a jetting problem?

Post by bws2 »

ecojbr wrote:Is the bike new to you or has the spooge just started? Most likely jetting but don't rule out low compression.
Thanks ecojbr. I bought the bike 2 years ago, from the original owner.

Last year I had a compression check done and it came back at 150 PSI.

It's always been a spooger, but not quite this much.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

bws2 wrote:(it was about 40 degrees)
I take it that's fahrenheit? My bike won't run "clean" (low smoke) until it warms up. Maybe yours never warmed up? (Remember, they don't have thermostats.)
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

bws2 wrote:My question is does all indicate that the jetting is too rich?
The last thing I'd do is lean it out as the temperature drops. More dense air with leaner jetting sounds like a REALLY bad idea. :naughty:
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

bws2 wrote:I've got the original jets in the bike.
What elevation are you at?

For most people the stock jetting is too rich. The packing in your silencer may have hit the saturation point and the excess oil is leaking out.

I would suggest repacking the silencer and then go through the jetting process. Other than a reduction in spooge, your bike will run much better.

Also keep in mind that jetting isnt a set-it-and-forget it type of thing. I change mine when going from summer to winter riding.
bws2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bws2 »

Tedh98 wrote:
bws2 wrote:I've got the original jets in the bike.
What elevation are you at?

For most people the stock jetting is too rich. The packing in your silencer may have hit the saturation point and the excess oil is leaking out.

I would suggest repacking the silencer and then go through the jetting process. Other than a reduction in spooge, your bike will run much better.

Also keep in mind that jetting isnt a set-it-and-forget it type of thing. I change mine when going from summer to winter riding.
I'm at an elevation of about 250 feet. Thanks for mentioning the packing. I'll definitely do a repack the sliencer.