Clutch Cover Gasket

Got questions? We got answers....
pt65

Clutch Cover Gasket

Post by pt65 »

Hey all,

new to this site. Got a 200 E-6 a year ago. Love it, just wish it had a little more grunt. Went to Hollister last weekend. First time since I got the 200. It stalled in 2nd on the main hill climb. Second try same thing happened, but I got it in first and crawled up the rest of the way.

Its got a leak at the clutch cover gasket, right behind the trans oil filler cap. At first I was hoping it was just a missing o ring on the filler cap, but now its clear. new gasket time.

Question - (don't have a manual yet) must I remove the water pump in order to remove the clutch cover? or can I leave the water pump cover along with the 'release cover" mounted to the clutch cover, while removing the clutch cover?

Alternatively - anyone had any luck just fixing the gasket leak by loosening the clutch cover and inserting RTV or an Anaerobic Gasket Maker?

Thanks!
TheRadBaron
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Clutch Cover Gasket

Post by TheRadBaron »

Welcome aboard. The E-model is a great bike.
I'd recommend against using RTV or the like. It will just make a mess and will most likely not seal up due to the oil present. The clutch cover gasket is an easy job, anyway. No need to remove the water pump. It can just stay assembled in the clutch cover. You will, however, need to remove the upper actuating arm of the KIPS system. There's a shaft (covered by a rubber boot) that comes out of the clutch cover almost vertically. The shaft attaches to the actuating arm under the plastic cover near the top of the cylinder.
You don't need to take the plastic cover off, just pull the rubber boot back to get access to the retaining nut. Be advised, the 10mm nut is left-hand thread. You'll want to hold the actuating arm stationary when loosening the nut (an adjustable wrench works well).
The gasket is still available from Kawasaki so no problems there. Good luck.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Clutch Cover Gasket

Post by SS109 »

Sorry but this is bugging me as there is a difference. The clutch cover is the smaller fairly round cover that holds the clutch activating arm and is held on by six bolts. The larger cover, the one the clutch cover mounts to, is the right side engine cover.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
TheRadBaron
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by TheRadBaron »

I've always heard of them referred to as "inner" and "outer" clutch cover, as well as "right side engine cover". I think that for all intents and purposes the terms are interchangeable. One is technically more correct, but the other isn't technically incorrect and its use is very common (possibly even more common).
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Clutch Cover Gasket

Post by SS109 »

This reminds of clip vs magazine when it comes to firearms. Even though we understand what people mean when they use the term "clip" it is 100% incorrect unless they're shooting an M1 Garand! :mrgreen:

There is only one clutch cover. The other is the engine cover. Using the correct terms is not technically more correct as there is only one correct use. Just because people have said it over the years doesn't make them technically somewhat right. Anyway, my point of using the proper term is that it helps when trying to help someone identify and fix a problem. It's hard enough helping someone via the internet sometimes even with the correct terminology that we should always strive to be as accurate as possible. That's all! :boogie:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
pt65

Post by pt65 »

Thank you! Leaving the water pump in place will make it a lot easier.
I don't like rtv either, but I have 4 bikes and maintenance adds up.

Re the technical term, the gasket, I believe, is referred to as the clutch cover gasket.
This is why I called it "clutch cover".
The smaller, round cover, is referred to as a " release cover".
This info is from eastbaymotorsports.com microfiche parts finder, which I assume is based on factory manuals.

And thx for the KIPS tip. First thing I did when I got the bike was tear down the top end and inspect it. I just love the simplicity of this bike.