Skid/Glide Plates

Got questions? We got answers....
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Skid/Glide Plates

Post by SS109 »

I'm hoping someone has knowledge on this and can help me find what I'm after.

With the terrain I ride a skid/glide plate is a must. On my E-series I installed a Scotts aluminum skid plate. Fast forward to my new ride, well, it didn't have one when I bought it. So, I still had the Scotts from my old bike. Front mounts fit no problem and just need to drill new holes for the rear clamps. I have been riding without one but rode today with the skid plate installed. OMG, it reflects back so much noise it is downright annoying and then add in all the rocks that hit it! Ugh!

Anyway, does anyone know of, or has anyone modified to fit, one of the newer style plastic skid plates for the '95+ KDX's? Thanks!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Skid/Glide Plates

Post by Tioli »

Interesting you say that about the noise. I made my own and seem to remember the additional noise but have forgotten about it.

I noticed the other day it was vibrating against the frame so tightened it and earmarked it for adding some rubber matting just where it touches the frame when I do my rebuild.

I have contact adhesived some narrow rubber strips to the plate just in the contact spots.

Now you have me thinking I could cover the lot and eliminate the reflected noise.

I wonder how much is reflected noise or that vibration that gets that ring which mine did? A ring can be deadened with choice placement and add minimal weight. Reflected noise will not be so easy.

Anything you could add to help me sort this out?
2001 KX125 with a 1997 KDX Tioli Hp motor

My KDX journey starts at the bottom of this page:
http://www.trials.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... &start=160

Trials.com.au / Forum / All about...me! / My long time friend the prancing horse / page 9
cornishwrecker220

Skid/Glide Plates

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

A friend of mine recently made his own skid plate out of carbon fiber sheets he bought off eBay ...he basically used his old skid plate as a template & stuck the sheets to the outside of the plate , once it dried he built up the sheets & resin to the thickness he liked...I must admit the finished product looked very professional, I'm not too sure how much abuse it can withstand but I guess when it does get battered all you have to do is re-sheet it & it's as good as new.
I guess if you used a cardboard template you could fabricate on for the kdx & even incorporate a water pump protector too :grin:
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Skid/Glide Plates

Post by 6 Riders »

I made my son's skid plate out of a cutting board. It was pretty easy to do, using my '93's skid as a template. I did a works style plate and so far so good. I'll redo it with another sometime here in the future, to fix things that I learned on the first one. Such as the E series plates don't actually line up properly.
I cut the "wings" off of my skid plate to make it works style as I like those plates better and will use this one for a template for future poly carb plates that I make. I never saw the need for the wings with the engine guards built into the frame. Anyways, I think the H bikes need some sort of sound dampening with metal. I can really see using carbon fiber, could even market them if you like working with resins. I have a Hyde Skid plate in my garage that doesn't seem to fit, now I wonder if it was for an E series.

One nice thing about using a piece of poly board is you can bend it to match the curve of the frame if you wish, as well as cover your linkage if you need that. I used [about] 1/8" inch board, but it wasn't very long. I bought the cheapest one I could find in case it didn't work. I believe you can get poly board at marine supply stores, but when I was at the local one, it wasn't available in thin enough pieces.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Skid/Glide Plates

Post by SS109 »

Hmm, some interesting ideas guys. Thanks! I do see that Hyde makes one for the KDX but for some weird reason they list it for only 2000 to 2006 models even though we know it will fit '95+ bikes. LOL! I really like TM Designs plates but they don't make them for our bikes. Well, I guess I have some thinking to do.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Skid/Glide Plates

Post by Tioli »

While the motor is out I did a tap around my home made aluminium skid plate. The noisiest part is between the two bottom mounts.

Just prior to taking the motor out when I got home the plate was a little loose and if really buzzed in a not nice way. With a little tightening it was better but not the answer.

So I ended up gluing rubber strips between the frame and plate and leftover sound deadener from my expansion chamber wrap up the middle.

Haven't ridden it yet but the tap around has changed. The noisiest part is now part of the plate that is on the outside of the frame. If you tap it from the outside like a stone hitting it it's still loud but if you hit on the inside in the middle section it's dead.

I think a plastic or make your own Kevlar/carbon fibre one will be better.

Hope it helps.
2001 KX125 with a 1997 KDX Tioli Hp motor

My KDX journey starts at the bottom of this page:
http://www.trials.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... &start=160

Trials.com.au / Forum / All about...me! / My long time friend the prancing horse / page 9
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Skid/Glide Plates

Post by ohgood »

put some rubber between the frame and skid plate.

old innertubes work well.

if you find a way to glue/screw a piece of cutting board to the bottom you'll slide over rocks instead of hanging on them.