AMA membership

Got questions? We got answers....
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

AMA membership

Post by bradf »

Are you a member of the AMA? I am. The Blue Ribbon Coalition? I am not. I believe that the land issues we face are mainly our govt illegally taking "our" land (as sung in "This land is your land, this land MY land". The only way to fight this is the AMA and the Blue ribbon Coalition. Maybe I should join the BRC as well. Anyone have something to add?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Kind of a political hot button don't you think Brad?
I firmly believe in the "Tread Lightly" campaign because it is a different approach and it sends a positive message to non OHV people.
I think there are a lot of groups that are far too militant about their approach. AMA is a fine organization but I really believe they are much like todays unions, they just do not have the pull that they think they have. I think grass roots organizations have more bang for the buck impact than top heavy organizations like the AMA or BRC.
As far as land use goes... the policies are not made by the many... it's made by the few, and we know who they are.
Just my .02 and it is a good discussion. I am interested in what others have to say about it. I have been involved with other land rights issues before and it's like banging your head against a wall trying to get others to just listen without getting hostile.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I'm a member of the AMA mainly because to hold a license to race in my district, it's a requirement. The local ranger station that stewards the OHV area I mainly ride is always looking for volunteers for trail maintenance. These trails are used by everyone, mountain bikers, horseback riders, quad riders, 4X4's, and of couse, dirtbike riders. I've gone to 3 work crews in the past year and at every one of them, the only group represented are the dirtbike riders. We are told before hand which trails we will be working on and sometimes it's the trails that horseback riders have exclusive use to. It doesn't matter, we, the dirtbike riders are still there and none of the other users of the area show. This goes a LONG ways towards having the land manager on our side when we need his support. On yesterday's ride, I ran across one of the rangers as he was patroling the staging area. We talked for some time, almost an hour. He has recently gone out and bought a dirtbike and is really enjoying it. (a 2005 Yamaha WR450) Of course he says it is so he can get into the remote trail areas for work party detail, but we know better. I'm sure we helped him decide over a horse or mountain bike.
As they say, you catch more flys with honey than with vinager. It would seem to me that if we could just get these guys who hold our riding future in their hands on a dirtbike and show them what they are missing, we will have won the war without needing to fire off a single shot.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I am not a member of the AMA nor any other affiliated group. I have to share somewhat the same view point indawoods expresses about the lobbying strength of such organizations. I'm not saying they have no affect, I don't know thier membership count, bigger the better. I am however a Teamster, and can honestly say that Unions are not as weak as some may think, but thats another subject.

I believe to tread lightly also. Where I'm at, I was having a hard time finding places to ride. But the more I get into it, the more places are opening up to me. Some private some state provided. Kansas has several riding sites that are state provided. But there is a ton of privately owned trails around that you can pay to ride. I have access to around 80- acres all but 5 acres of it is wooded full of deep creeks and very technical riding. I have yet to cut any trails but I plan on it in the near future. I just read an article in an old Trail Rider magazine that discussed a situation the author had somewhere back east. Seems this town that was close to the trail ride that was planned more or less fixed it where it realy discouraged the riders from participating in the ride. They passed alot of last minute laws to do this, not to mention harassing the riders as they tried to outfit themselves for the ride that morning. Well, low and behold the very town that passed all these last minute laws to mess with the ride, broke laws themselves and are now under a state inquirery about the issue. I think the AMA and other organizations jumped on board to help the situation for the riders. So these organizations do more than tyou think or more than you know about. The AMA are like Unions in one respect, they are only as good as the members make it. Also around here the Conservation Dept. had a large bank account and bought alot of land. I would love to see Missouri build some riding parks in and around the Kansas City area. The closest rding area to me is alittle over an hour away in either direction. They build skateboard parks, basketball courts, soccerfields, baseball diamonds and football feilds out the kazoo around here but can't build some suitable riding trails. They have the land to do it but won't for some reason.

Jon.
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

I'm an AMA member but I don't belong to BRC, maybe I should...
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
BJH
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by BJH »

Oh course flogging idiots for throwing trash and beer cans on the trails works too. It doesn't take a whole lot of sacrifice to crush the can or trash and stuff it in your riding gear for the next stop an a trash can or camp.
________
HEADSHOPS
Last edited by BJH on 08:02 am Feb 17 2011, edited 1 time in total.
NewMexico505

Post by NewMexico505 »

I saw this thread and thought it even more relevant now in 2009 than in 2004.

I feel the "tread lightly" way is NOT working and we need to become active to keep riding.

Here is an example of some news I got;
One of my school mates from kindergarten through High School is a lawyer for Green Peace now, at the high school reunion he told us flat out the real mission of these environmental groups; Control. Its not about the environment - its what can I take from YOU.

I think its time to be active more...being nice and respectful is not working. Time to join the AMA, write and call your local state representatives, etc....

-Erik
kdx633
Supporting Member

Post by kdx633 »

I do not belong to the ama or brc.I do however follow the actions of federal,state and local governments on land use issues.I also take advantage of public comment to let my position be known.I have worked with county foresters and have been successful in getting trails on the ground.The main reason I do not belong "organizations" is due to my many interests(hunting,fishing,dirt biking,snowshoeing etc.) it seems that one group is always against the other.