Want to reduce noise?

Got questions? We got answers....
robkdx

Want to reduce noise?

Post by robkdx »

My H gives me a decent headache due to its noise. The airbox lid is removed and it has a full PC2 system.

I think I will refit the airbox lid as it has quite a bark with it off.

But will I lose power re-fitting the stock muffler? And will it be quieter?

Thinking about it when I re-packed my PC muffler I may have used 4 stroke packing, would this add to its noise?
Jim B

Re: Want to reduce noise?

Post by Jim B »

How about just wearing ear plugs?
robkdx

Post by robkdx »

Jim B wrote:How about just wearing ear plugs?
Valid point, and I have to on my big road bike. I will be getting some custom plugs made soon.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

you will NOT find an aftermarket silencer that outperforms the stocker
other then putting a few pounds back on the bike, running the stocker will not result in loss of power
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

diymirage wrote:you will NOT find an aftermarket silencer that outperforms the stocker
other then putting a few pounds back on the bike, running the stocker will not result in loss of power

That's pretty accurate. It's big and ugly, but it's quiet and flows well. The noise from the airbox is nothing compared to the exhaust.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

robkdx wrote:Valid point, and I have to on my big road bike. I will be getting some custom plugs made soon.
With all the excitement of riding the bike, I think a lot of people don't realize how loud they are. The cheap-o plugs work fine for me, but everybody's different. My fiancee has to use children's ear plugs; I guess she's got unusually small ear canals. :rolleyes:
robkdx

Post by robkdx »

Jim B wrote:
robkdx wrote:Valid point, and I have to on my big road bike. I will be getting some custom plugs made soon.
With all the excitement of riding the bike, I think a lot of people don't realize how loud they are. The cheap-o plugs work fine for me, but everybody's different. My fiancee has to use children's ear plugs; I guess she's got unusually small ear canals. :rolleyes:
You can get ones that you make at home. I think you heat it up and pour it into your ear and it sets.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Want to reduce noise?

Post by SS109 »

I guess I'm one that just doesn't understand why people think our bikes are loud. I have run factory silencers and aftermarket and there isn't much difference IMO. Yeah, the aftermarket is louder but by maybe a few decibels. It's not like our bikes are 450 4T's with a race silencer!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Want to reduce noise?

Post by Tioli »

I totally understand the sound issue. To many years of listening to high revving two stroke music plus when we were younger cars never has aircon so the window was always down and on it goes

I did not want to use a stock chamber as I naturally thought it's not going to work as well so came up with this solution:
Half way down page 20 from the link
http://www.trials.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... &start=380

The link will take you to where I first use it but you will have to keep scrolling through several pages as it took me a while to work out how to use it properly and then hold it in place. When you get to the metal zip ties is when I got it right.

I still use moulded earplugs but that's just me being overly protective. It sounds about as loud as my mates stock twin walled pipe on his RMX250
2001 KX125 with a 1997 KDX Tioli Hp motor

My KDX journey starts at the bottom of this page:
http://www.trials.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... &start=160

Trials.com.au / Forum / All about...me! / My long time friend the prancing horse / page 9
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Want to reduce noise?

Post by Slick_Nick »

I always wear ear plugs when I ride. I almost feel "naked" without them. Just another piece of riding gear in my books.

I use the disposable foam ear plugs that you can easily find anywhere. I think a 200 pack is like $8 at lowes. They fit inside my helmets easily.
'00 KDX 220R
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

I've noticed a power lots between the gnarly and the stocker. the stock pipe is so quiet though it's a real treat.

the most noticeable change comes from just putting the air box lid back on.

I still wear ear plugs.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

I'm; personally a big fan of the stock exhaust. After owning several KDXs that came with pipes, my current one has all stock exhaust. It makes the most low end of any pipe I've ran. Pipes that wake up the top end make the bike feel faster (probably a 2-3hp gain at peak), and likely do make it a touch faster, but I've found just short shifting the stock pipe makes it a negligible difference. The stock pipe is definitely slower in a drag race type scenario if you wring it all the way out.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project