Are HD clutch springs necessary on a tuned up KDX?

Got questions? We got answers....
TheRadBaron
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by TheRadBaron »

My '89 KDX200 has all of the popular bolt-on engine mods. DG pipe, RB head and carb, Boyeson reeds. It runs great and I'm sure it's making a good bit more power than stock.
I just rebuilt then clutch with a complete EBC Dirt Racer kit and a Pro-X clutch basket. The EBC kit came with heavy-duty clutch springs and I installed them since it seemed like a good idea since my engine is more powerful than stock. However, they really make the clutch lever pull a lot heavier. I've ridden the bike a few times since and I sure miss that original, light, lever pull.
I never noticed the clutch slipping before I rebuilt it so I'm thinking that the HD springs aren't necessary. I'd like to put the stock springs back in but I thought that I'd check here first.
Is the stock clutch capable of handling a modified motor like mine? Thanks.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

You don't need the HD springs unless you do. Run the stock springs and see if it slips. It slips, you can get new OEM springs and try themor go with the HD springs. I can tell you, upgrading to the top of the line Motion Pro cable and running a good quality clutch perch/lever setup can make the HD springs more livable. If you really want to get fancy, you can go hydraulic!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
TheRadBaron
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Are HD clutch springs necessary on a tuned up KDX?

Post by TheRadBaron »

Thanks. I do have the Motion Pro Terminator cable and a ball bearing clutch perch. The pull is livable but if I can get away with a lighter pull I'd sure like to. I've considered the hydraulic clutch upgrade and I'll likely do it some day but there are other areas that need money thrown at them first.
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

My 220 is tuned & pushes out 40hp on the dyno....my OE clutch & springs just couldn't cope with the increase in HP ....it was fine down low in the technical stuff but as soon as I hit the open trails & began to crack the throttle the clutch would slip ....I have now installed a wiseco billet clutch basket with a Barnett dirt digger Kevlar clutch with HD springs....she don't slip no more... Yes the pull on the lever is a little firmer than before & I also run the Magura hydraulic clutch assembly too which includes an adjustable clutch lever . :supz:
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

I also removed the HD springs. One option would be to only remove two (there are four springs right?) across from each other. I just opted to pit the old springs back in.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
TheRadBaron
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by TheRadBaron »

IIRC there's five springs. Can't really swap different springs around in that configuration without lopsiding things.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

TheRadBaron wrote:IIRC there's five springs.
Yep, the E has 5.