2001 KDX Voltage Regulator, How To Test

Got questions? We got answers....
winkel

Post by winkel »

Greetings folks,

My son and I each have KDX's. His is a 2001 and mine is a 2005.

His lights quit working and I've been trying to trouble shoot the problem.

I have 30 to 50 volts AC to and through the switch. I have 30 to 50 volts AC to the voltage regulator under the seat so the stator is fine. I don't have any voltage to the supply to the headlight.

I haven't checked voltage out of the regulator yet because it has the funny connector and I haven't figured up a good jumper to hook into one side and check what's coming out.

How do I check the regulator? I checked for resistance through it but it just shows open. I checked on the resistance setting and I also checked on the diode setting.

Before I completely cut the wiring harness open, does anyone have any ideas?

I checked the regulator on my bike as well, the lights work fine, but it shows the same thing when checking resistance and the diode check.

Thanks,
Winkel
ecojbr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ecojbr »

Sounds silly but test\swap switches. They are notorious for clicking but not switching.
04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200
winkel

Re: 2001 KDX Voltage Regulator, How To Test

Post by winkel »

I checked voltage coming back from the switch. It is working. I didn't think about it until later, but I need to swap voltage regulators and see if that makes a difference.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

you test voltage at wires by inserting a needle through the insulation at a slight angle into the wires till it touches the metal and then connect your voltmeter to the needles
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
winkel

Post by winkel »

Well, it appears to be his voltage regulator. I pulled the feed to his tail light and tested there. With the voltage regulator plugged in, it is showing about 3 volts AC. With it unplugged, it shows 30-50 volts AC.
On my bike, with the voltage regulator plugged in, it shows 9-15 volts AC. Unplugged, it shows 30-50 volts AC.
Is there a generic voltage regulator available? I don't want to spend $90 on one!