fuel was dumping out of overflow - stuck float??

Got questions? We got answers....
bws2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bws2 »

I just put the carb back together for my KDX200.

Put it back on the bike, turned on the gas and had fuel pouring out of the overflow tube.

I quickly turned the gas off and tapped the float bowl with a screw driver handle.

Turned the gas back on and didn't have the overflow problem.

Do you guys think this a symptom of the floats being stuck and when I tapped on the bowl it freed them up?
bultaco4ever
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: fuel was dumping out of overflow - stuck float??

Post by bultaco4ever »

The float needle has a rubber tip that makes contact with the brass float needle seat. The brass seat could have an irregular surface and allow leaks. Wad up a small ball of steel wool or something semi abrasive and use a skinny screw driver to scrape the seat clean and smooth. Set the 'tang' on the float to the correct angle to get the 16 or 17mm float height (as it says in the owners manual). Just bend it gently to make the adjustment. Use compressed air to blow out any steel wool debris after you swish it around.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

bws2 wrote:I just put the carb back together for my KDX200.

Put it back on the bike, turned on the gas and had fuel pouring out of the overflow tube.

I quickly turned the gas off and tapped the float bowl with a screw driver handle.

Turned the gas back on and didn't have the overflow problem.

Do you guys think this a symptom of the floats being stuck and when I tapped on the bowl it freed them up?
Yes that's a symptom but may not be the exact cause.

Normally the float needle will either kick sideways a little (1:1,000) and hang, or more likely a tiny bit of trash (1:100) gets stuck between the seal and the sealing surface, holding it open. Sometimes, if you're really lucky, you'll just forget to put the fuel line back on (1:10) and wonder wtf just happened to your pristine petcock ... only to see the line pouring fuel into your boots. Not that I'VE EVER DONE IT, but i've heard stories ;-)