Dual Sport KDX

Got questions? We got answers....
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Dual Sport KDX

Post by quailchaser »

I'm about 95% done with getting the KDX actually street legal. I've got the brake lights wired for both front and rear brakes. I wired them as their own circuit separate from the headlamp/tail lamp circuit. They work great.

I need to wire the new head lamp. It has a dual filament bulb. One filament is more "flood" and the other is more "beam". I have a new head lamp switch coming that with allow me to switch between the two.

The only thing left after the headlamp is to decide how incorporate a horn. I'd prefer to find a battery (9 V) operated "noise maker" that I could wire up with the horn button. We use to be able to get a way with the squeeze horns, but it appears that the AZ DMV has changed it's policy. Unfortunately, I get a different answer from each person I talk to at DMV. Anyway, I don't really want a horn in the bike wiring system...I looked at tearing apart a fire alarm and using the "beeper" and wiring it up to a switch, but, I couldn't figure an easy way to do it. Any ideas?

Later
Robb
Last edited by quailchaser on 02:50 am Dec 30 2005, edited 2 times in total.
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

You should be able to find a small battery operated horn at some place like radio shack.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
rollerman

Post by rollerman »

robb how did you get the rear brake switch to work . i was looking at mine the other day and the res. seems to be in the way ..any advice would be appreciated..
thanks tom
03 kdx 220 mine
05 pw 80 son
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It is in the way... you will have to grind some of the mounting tab away to clear the switch if your using a hydraulic and use washers to set the res out a little further and then it works fine.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
rollerman

Post by rollerman »

thank you sounds easy enough....
03 kdx 220 mine
05 pw 80 son
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

Here are some photos of my AZ street legal KDX (minus the horn)

UFO Sahara headlamp

Baja Designs Tail Lamp

High/Low head lamp switch...the "Kill" button will eventually be wired to the horn.

I made a bracket to raise the brake res. I don't really like the "adjustment" I had to make to the guard. I'm having a buddy make me a new guard.

Looks like I need to find a Honda MC. I'm not to pleased with how exposed the break light switch is in this configuration.

To wire the brake lights, I split the yellow "hot" wire and ran a separate lead to each switch (frt and rear) then I ran a wire from each switch to the brake lamp wire. I put a voltage regulator on this wire. The brake lights work totally independent of the head lamp/tail lamp circuit. It's actually a mirror image of what Kawasaki did for the lighting circuit. Works great. As you can see from the photos, there are a few things that need to be cleaned up...but the system is in place.

Later
Robb
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC