Best way to secure a KDX

Got questions? We got answers....
Otoko Retoro

Best way to secure a KDX

Post by Otoko Retoro »

My UK Road legal KDX 200 doesn't have a steering lock or ignition key.

I use a master bike lock through my font forks and wheel, the type with the cylindrical key (Your average UK criminal doesn't carry picks for these)

On the rear, I lock a hefty padlock on any of the rear spokes, you cant rotate the wheel with it on without it catching against the rear swingarm.

Unfortunately a pair of (insert your own curseword here) decided to try steal it from my works car park. The pair turned up on a sportsbike, one waited at the gate, the other walked in, cropped the front lock off, then tried to crop the padlock but didn't have good enough bolt croppers so the "BLEEP" cut the spoke to get the padlock off. Tried starting it and failed and then tried to bump it at this point one of my colleagues spotted what was going on and chased them in his performance Audi till they dropped my KDX and scarpered on the other bike. How lucky was I?

Now there is a good reason why they couldn't start it and I'm not explaining it on here just in case the "BLEEPS" google this thread and come back.

So what is everyone else using to secure their Rides?

Maybe a big chain through the frame is best?
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Best way to secure a KDX

Post by diymirage »

I use a lock through the frond disc (think it is also made my bikemaster)
impossible to cut of, but might be pickable?

that, and I carry a Ruger SR9
if I catch someone trying to steal my gear they will get chased by something a whole lot quicker then an audi ;)
(hollowpoint 9MM)
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Friedom
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Friedom »

I keep it in the garage with the top end removed :butthead:
cornishwrecker220

Best way to secure a KDX

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

Unfortunately if they want it they will get it, the trick is to make things as difficult for them as you can.....a ground anchor with a quality padlock & chain ....a garage door anchor ...a strong steel bar across the outside of your shed padlocked at both ends....If your bike is parked at work then leave it in a area where it can be seen, Disc locks etc ,Oxford granite lock or heavy duty chain is good but it wont stop thieves from lifting it up & into the back of a van.

You can buy a tracking device that's quite cheap & easy to hide on the bike...works by gps on your I phone.....sadly thieves have now cottoned on to this & turn up with the device...stick it to your bike & wait for you to go home....then trace your movements & steal your bike while your at home in bed !!!

Hollowpoint 9mm sounds interesting..... but somehow I don't think our British police or Judicial system would approve !!

Saying that ive seen those `shot gun` alarms on ebay....basically a dud 12 bore shotgun cartridge rigged up to a door etc by means of a wire...when the door is opened .....`BANG` :lol:
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

I guess in away, we got your British system to thanks for our second amendment rights to be armed
and I used to have the "shot gun" alarm, until one day my five your old asked my why the shotgun was in my bedroom closet instead of downstairs with the rest of the arsenal :lol:

The Duck of Deseret

Post by The Duck of Deseret »

(hollowpoint 9MM)

You are just going to hurt somebody with that----make sure they are far enough away that they don't take it away from you and kill you with it.

Out West us old timers use 45ACP---"one call--that's all" to paraphrase one of our ambulance chasers-----
chippy

Post by chippy »

Up here a 12 gauge trumps all!
I prefer a 10mm if it has to fit in my pocket. ;^) (more bears in the yard than bike thieves)
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Quality disk lock for me.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

i like my 12 gauge aswell, but that has a longer barrel on it, and is not the perfect carry gun
though you could argue if I'm using an SR9 for concealed carry, I might as well use an SR45

the main reason I chose the 9 over the .45 was the cost per shot when plinking
I think ive ran about 800 rounds through her over the last year, so it adds up

chippy

Post by chippy »

Nothing wrong with a 9mm. I own several and REALLY like them. (Beretta m92, Browning Hi Power, Daly HP)
You are quite right, they are much cheaper to shoot and practice makes perfect! ;^)
Most of the time it's not people stealing the bikes we are worried about. It's large animals in the trail. Moose, grizzly bears, mountain lions, etc.
Otoko Retoro

Post by Otoko Retoro »

Had a visit from my local policing team today, turns out they really wanted my bike! The pair had shown up on CCTV a number of times casing the joint. The Police reckon I've been followed too as stupidly, my Hi Vis jacket carries my company's logo on it and the pair had visited both premises we own looking to spot my bike. Is this the point where I take it personally?

I'm actually an amazing shot but wouldn't dare carry a handgun!
markr74

Post by markr74 »

I have an Oxford screamer very hard to get off and makes a hell of a noise when disturbed and costs less then a dozen shots from a 12 gauge.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Best way to secure a KDX

Post by ohgood »

Otoko Retoro wrote:My UK Road legal KDX 200 doesn't have a steering lock or ignition key.

I use a master bike lock through my font forks and wheel, the type with the cylindrical key (Your average UK criminal doesn't carry picks for these)

On the rear, I lock a hefty padlock on any of the rear spokes, you cant rotate the wheel with it on without it catching against the rear swingarm.

Unfortunately a pair of (insert your own curseword here) decided to try steal it from my works car park. The pair turned up on a sportsbike, one waited at the gate, the other walked in, cropped the front lock off, then tried to crop the padlock but didn't have good enough bolt croppers so the "BLEEP" cut the spoke to get the padlock off. Tried starting it and failed and then tried to bump it at this point one of my colleagues spotted what was going on and chased them in his performance Audi till they dropped my KDX and scarpered on the other bike. How lucky was I?

Now there is a good reason why they couldn't start it and I'm not explaining it on here just in case the "BLEEPS" google this thread and come back.

So what is everyone else using to secure their Rides?

Maybe a big chain through the frame is best?

put a rechargable GPS tracker in the airbox or seat. if or when the bike is stolen, you can track it to where the thieves have stashed it. then it's a matter of phoning the police to go pick up your bike and the criminals.

insurance is a good thing too, sometimes the replacement value is more than you've paid for the item.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

Otoko Retoro wrote:Had a visit from my local policing team today, turns out they really wanted my bike! The pair had shown up on CCTV a number of times casing the joint. The Police reckon I've been followed too as stupidly, my Hi Vis jacket carries my company's logo on it and the pair had visited both premises we own looking to spot my bike. Is this the point where I take it personally?

I'm actually an amazing shot but wouldn't dare carry a handgun!

then carry a shotgun :boogie:

so, when the fuzz showed up, did they actually do anything, or just inform you ?

Otoko Retoro

Post by Otoko Retoro »

The Officer that visitied took a statement from myself including a report of the damage to my locks and bike and a copy of our cctv. He then tried the business across the street in an attempt to view their angle of the incident but unfortunately nobody caught the regisration clearly and I was told the incident would be filed :(

However today, I get an update, another officer has viewed the CCTV recognised the criminals which were know to the local police. They have since been arrested and I am awaiting an update. Wonder if I can find out who they were?...
chippy

Post by chippy »

I can't imagine why they would not tell you who they were?
koshari

Post by koshari »

My kdx is secured by 2 cubic meters of horse saddles and blankets that takes me 10 minutes to move every time i want to ride it [ANGRY FACE][ANGRY FACE][ANGRY FACE][ANGRY FACE][ANGRY FACE][ANGRY FACE]