Clutch problem

Got questions? We got answers....
216cc

Clutch problem

Post by 216cc »

Hi folks,

I'm a fairly new rider, and total novice when it comes to trail bikes. I bought a 1994 220 SR imported from japan to the UK. looking ride a few trails of a weekend.

I snapped the clutch cable on a ride home from work. Bought and fitted a replacement. took a brief ride around the garden and all seemed well.

Got all my gear on for a Sunday ride and as i took it down the road the clutch lever went super stiff and would not engage at all. needless to say i stalled at the lights. it went fine in first then second as i went to grab third the lever was so stiff i could hardly pull it in. I then got it back to neutral at the side of the road, kicked it over and it started working again? I can start the bike up pull away in first but after getting up a bit of speed the clutch lever becomes really stiff and won't engage?

I have had a good look about the forums here and i do see a few issues that are similar, but non that have come on so suddenly. I am guessing something in the clutch has broken. so will have to replace it.

It seems to be a rare bike in the UK, can anybody confirm my suspicions and recommend an aftermarket replacement? it share a lot of internals with the 200 of the same age?

Thanks in advance

216cc
cornishwrecker220

Clutch problem

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

I wouldn't say the problem is to do with the replacement cable but possible that the clutch centre nut may of worked loose, ( it can happen if its been apart recently ) what you can check is run the bike & as soon as the lever goes tight, stop the engine & remove the cable from the arm ( that's located on the engine ) with an adjustable spanner attach this to the clutch arm & see if you can activate the arm by moving it.....if not then I suspect its the nut.....if you can then it may be your cable .
The SR version shares lots of parts with the 98 200s & 220s, the SR is a more road friendly version of both & has a metal tank, smaller carb, indicators, pillion foot pegs & runs an oil pump along with a few other odds & bobs ...the `enduro` 200/220 do not.
Although your bike is registered as an early 90s model it was never officially imported here to the UK, we did get a few 200s & 220s around 1997/98 but only as a `off road` motorcycle & although not road legal some dealers managed to register them for the road.
216cc

Re: Clutch problem

Post by 216cc »

Thanks a lot for the reply. I will have a go after work tonight and see.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I had the same problem after a rebuild, and it was in fact the center clutch hub nut.
216cc

Clutch problem

Post by 216cc »

Ah OK, so that may also explain why the cable snapped in the first place?

Is this a fairly simple fix? part of the new hobby is to learn about basic mechanics and try and fix these things myself.

Are there gaskets that would need to be replaced? Assume I would need to drain the oil out first.

Been accumulating a few tools. including a torque wrench.

many thanks
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

This is not a hard fix, and something you should know how to do for any bike. The big thing on this engine is disconnecting the powervalve mechanism properly without breaking it (lots of people have broken them). You need to do so to get the clutch cover off. Get a manual and read it it beforehand, and it is pretty straightforward.

You will need to buy a holder for the inner hub to torque it, and will need your new torque wrench. And the clutch cover gasket. You may need a water pump cover gasket, not sure about the 1994 (E series) model. You will have to drain the coolant as well as the oil. You can reuse the coolant if it is a nice neon green.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
cornishwrecker220

Clutch problem

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

first pick up an `outer` clutch cover gasket ( its the round gasket with several bolt holes around the circumference ) ...no need to drain the gear box oil.....just lean or lay the bike down on its left hand side & remove the outer clutch cover by means of the six or seven 8mm bolts ( remove the clutch cable from the actuator arm )....there you will see the clutch basket & in the centre a bearing with a small rod...this pulls off & inside you will see the clutch centre nut......I think its 17mm ..now the hard part is to lock the outer clutch while tightening down the centre nut...ideally you will need a clutch holding tool.....if not you could use a oil filter removal tool & attach it to the flywheel...youll need a new gasket for that too....you could use a piece of wood wedged into the clutch basket if your lucky....I wouldn't recommend using a screwdriver as this may damage the fragile clutch basket.
216cc

Clutch problem

Post by 216cc »

OK so I tried the first test and the arm has almost no movement whatsoever. Only once kicked over in neutral does it come back.

Will order the parts and the manual and have go this weekend.

Thanks for the advice will post how I got on.
216cc

Clutch problem

Post by 216cc »

Well I had a few issues getting hold of a gasket so ended up making my own.

The nut was indeed very loose so thank you once again for all your help.