Chain Selection

Got questions? We got answers....
nls2299

Chain Selection

Post by nls2299 »

Ok guys;
Next on my list will be chain and sprockets.
What are most of you running? Standard chain, O ring, X ring?
Before I start selecting a brand, I've been debating on all of the above.

To be honest, I'm leaning towards just a standard chain.
I only ride an hour or so every couple weeks...with that said, I tend to ride pretty hard.
I'm constantly up on my maintenance, so taking care of a standard chain doesn't bother me.

Seen some posts from years past with guys with different recommendations...what's everyone's thoughts now?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Chain Selection

Post by Julien D »

I prefer a DID standard roller chain.
TheRadBaron
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by TheRadBaron »

I really like x-ring (or o-ring) chains. I have them on pretty much every bike I own and I don't think I'd ever put another standard roller chain on a bike. The x-ring chains just last soooo much longer and need adjustment soooo less frequently.
It's true that they weigh a bit more and cause more drag than a standard chain but the trade off is well worth it to me. I'm not too picky about brand. I just always go with a quality chain like D.I.D., RK, EK, Regina, etc.
cornishwrecker220

Chain Selection

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

+1 D.I.D X-ring.......mine has been on almost 2 years & in that time I think I`ve adjusted it twice !!
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Chain Selection

Post by ohgood »

+1 on Xring chains, they seem to last very well on kdx's.

the Oring chains are fine too, just not as long lasting. more seals = more bettererererer ;-)

I've been using ATF as a POST-ride lube (i don't believe in wetting a chain just before a ride, seems to be a dust-magnet!) and rarely need to adjust the chain on my kdx. I'm very pleasantly surprised as the DRZ chains were always wearing at a faster rate than this. I guess the extra 70lbs and torque of the drz really makes a difference in chain/cogs life.

Get the best chain you can, and change out the FRONT cog when you start to see the teeth wearing thin. that will make the chain last longer, and it's super cheap to replace the front, not so much the rear or chain ;-)
chippy

Chain Selection

Post by chippy »

Honestly, for the money, RMATV's Primary Drive chains can't be beat. You can get a Gold X-ring chain (their best) for $63. I have run them on several different bikes and have not found a tougher chain. Be sure to freshen up the gears at the same time for the longest life.

FYI - remember, when running an o/x ring chain on a KDX200, you will need to open up the chain guide a bit for clearance.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Chain Selection

Post by SS109 »

I like RK x-ring chains, Renthal countershaft sprockets, and any brand steel rear sprocket.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I use RK x-rings or Regina O-rings (my favorite when I can find them).
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type