How close is too close

Got questions? We got answers....
HillbillySnowman

How close is too close

Post by HillbillySnowman »

Hi all
After purchasing a second hand E model tank on ebay, I took the plunge and modded my F model to fit the new tank. I am just a bit worried as to the clearance between the tank and the pipe. I was wondering what clearance is recommended to stop the plastic tank from distorting/melting. I have layered the bottom with multiple layers of heat reflective tape and when the tank is fitted I can fit my index finger between the pipe and tank. is this enough? I live in Australia so it often gets quite warm here, well into the 30's and maybe even a 40 or two every summer.(i'm talking in Celsius not Fahrenheit)

Regards
John
cornishwrecker220

How close is too close

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

I wouldn't bother with the heat tape on the tank, instead try the `heat bandage` ....if there is any room then wrap some around the exhaust pipe at the nearest part to the tank, it shouldn't matter if it touches the tank when fitted....2 stroke exhausts don't get as hot as a four stroke so you may be fine, the only other mod I would do would be to somehow raise the tank, either at the rear of the tank by use of a rubber mount ,or at the front of the tank where the rubber mushrooms mount to the frame.
sarrant

How close is too close

Post by sarrant »

I don't really know the specific answer to your question, but do know this: the FMF pipe they jam on YZ80s is closer than that over the entire length of the tank, and it's not double walled and insulated like a KDX pipe.

HillbillySnowman

How close is too close

Post by HillbillySnowman »

Thanks for the help guys.
Ive got a new fmf fatty on order. Should get here near christmas :supz: