Help! Fork seals.

Got questions? We got answers....
wingnutks

Help! Fork seals.

Post by wingnutks »

So I just replace the fork seals on my 01 220. First time I have ever done this, but all went well... kinda. After undoing the compression valve and using the forks as a slide hammer and the seal and dust wiper came out. Put the forks back together and used a tusk seal driver to drive the bushing back in with the washer on top, and then used the seal driver to drive the seal and dust seal back in. However, the dust seal ended up about 1mm below the locking clip! I checked the part number, it says its the right seal 55mm(od) x 43mm(id) x 9.5mm(h)... those numbers were even printed on the lip of the seal itself. How the hell can this happen? I didnt smash these things on either. In fact after I saw the first one go on like that, I tapped the other one even lighter.

KDXrider1989

Re: Help! Fork seals.

Post by KDXrider1989 »

I think theres a washer/spacer underneath the oil seal, if thats what you're referring to. add another or get a thicker one if you can find one. are these OEM seals? Ive had cheap aftermarket ones on other bikes that were thinner than the originals and "float" about a mm or two on the fork tube under the locking clip. never gave me issues but did make me fee uncomfortable