So more previous owner issues have surfaced....

Got questions? We got answers....
rashad

Post by rashad »

Silly me for assuming things. I bought two new tires and excitedly got ready to mount them...then noticed something...

So now I basically need a new wheel... Although that's kinda ok because a few spokes were seized anyway.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
bultaco4ever
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: So more previous owner issues have surfaced....

Post by bultaco4ever »

you didn't put this on the front rim...did you?
bultaco4ever
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by bultaco4ever »

Wait....I see some rear sprocket teeth.....just buy a new tire the right size
rashad

Post by rashad »

I would... but i have some spokes that need to be removed.. seized up and rattling around etc... and the tire selection for what I need would be better for 18".. plus i have one sitting here.

Anyone know what carat the gold is in the stock kdx wheels? I mean... 300+ for a used ugly rear stock wheel on ebay!!!??? someone has to have a hook up. Should i just get excel?
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

you should be able to find one easily for under $300, I think the 200 and 220 share the same wheel setup, if your KDX is an H-series ('94-on)
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

The rim itself should have markings on it. They will include the nominal size of the rim. If there's an 18, you have an 18" rim, same for 19 and 21. Any chance you have a 19" tire on an 18" rim? Not very likely or maybe even possible I suppose, but stranger things have happened.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

The Excel Takasago in 2.15 is the stock rim. You can use the Tusk rim from RMATV, they are $90. You can get the Notako from Excel for $130. What ever rim you get should be a 36 hole rim....MANY MANY rims fit this bike. New spokes can run as much as a rim.
Other options are Pro wheel, Warp 9, DID (the old gold rims are the best) and of course you can have custom wheels built......
I had these built at The Wheelmaster(.com)
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
rashad

Post by rashad »

Any on idea on prices? I'd like to not have to assemble it if possible.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

rashad wrote:Any on idea on prices? I'd like to not have to assemble it if possible.
I think he charges around $200 with new #8 spokes (plus the rim). He hand cuts, bends and threads the spokes. You'll never have to worry about loose spokes again!

Give them a call.....https://www.thewheelmaster.com/
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

rashad wrote:Silly me for assuming things. I bought two new tires and excitedly got ready to mount them...then noticed something...

So now I basically need a new wheel... Although that's kinda ok because a few spokes were seized anyway.

that's a bummer. put some pbblaster on the nipples every day for a week, then heat one side and pbblaster the other. they might release enough to true them up.

19" wheels... must be off a motox bike.... and those tires are $$$
rashad

Post by rashad »

the funniest part of this... i just put new kdx rear bearings and snap ring in it... so the hubs must be identical. I thought they had some weird kx parts on this bike... so they must have put two bikes together. the rear axle was all wrong as well.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

rashad wrote:the funniest part of this... i just put new kdx rear bearings and snap ring in it... so the hubs must be identical. I thought they had some weird kx parts on this bike... so they must have put two bikes together. the rear axle was all wrong as well.

there are a LOT of parts sharing between dirty bikes. hubs are a big one, and of course wheels of the same width.

for instance, if the hub width is the same (allowing you to use it on more than one bike/swingarm) but the axles different sizes, just go to motion industries (or whoever) and get the right size bearings for your application. it's normally less than $20 for a pair of bearings, and then you have a more widely usable wheel :)

i'd rock the 19" wheel as long as the spokes would let me and just keep snagging barely used motocross tires from those picky track guys ;-)
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

rashad wrote:the funniest part of this... i just put new kdx rear bearings and snap ring in it... so the hubs must be identical. I thought they had some weird kx parts on this bike... so they must have put two bikes together. the rear axle was all wrong as well.
There are certain year KX hubs that swap, the rear hub in the picture above is a KX hub. Nice thing is you can score KX hubs (or whole wheels) for CHEAP (I recently bought two for $70 complete. One of them is pretty rusted together and will take time to disassemble....the other one was fine for just the hub, spokes where tossed.
rashad

Post by rashad »

so one more question... do you think I will be ok with two loose spokes for now? They are opposite each other, so that is good i guess... It has held up fine so far.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

rashad wrote:so one more question... do you think I will be ok with two loose spokes for now? They are opposite each other, so that is good i guess... It has held up fine so far.
Take the tire off and cut the offending spokes out. You can get individual spokes on E-bay and the like.
rashad

Post by rashad »

How do I know what size to get? I'm assuming this is an early 90s.kx wheel

6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

You'd be buying a spoke for a 19" DID rear wheel, you can get an OEM spoke as well, same thing. Don't forget the nipple.
To be exact it's a 202 X 106D spoke, used on all KX 19" rear wheels since 1989. If you are buying OEM, it will be called "inner spoke", don't let that confuse you, all 36 spokes are the same size/length.
rashad

Post by rashad »

6 Riders wrote:You'd be buying a spoke for a 19" DID rear wheel, you can get an OEM spoke as well, same thing. Don't forget the nipple.
To be exact it's a 202 X 106D spoke, used on all KX 19" rear wheels since 1989. If you are buying OEM, it will be called "inner spoke", don't let that confuse you, all 36 spokes are the same size/length.
you are the man. :mrgreen: