new exhaust questions

Got questions? We got answers....
BigH
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

new exhaust questions

Post by BigH »

have a kdx200 2005 with stock pipe & pro curcuit silencer. Going to get a fmf gnarly woods pipe over the winter. 1. Is this the pipe you recomend? Ride all trails & coal. 2. It looks like it will line up with the pro curcuit pipe. Will it? 3. Running 160/48 jets @ 500 to 600 ft elevation. From the post i have read that seems higher than most. It does burn it fare share of gas. I am guessing you would normally have to up the jetting with a new fmf pipe correct? Maybe in my case not so? Thanks, Big H.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: new exhaust questions

Post by Julien D »

It'll fit just fine. The woods pipe is a good choice if want to focus power on the low end. The Rev (desert) is the better choice if you like to keep it pinned at high revs. So that is completely personal choice. It will bolt up to your silencer just fine. I can't imagine needing to go larger than 160. Kaw throws really fat jetting at them stock so that even at sea level in blistering temps it won't be too lean. Most people will have ditched the stock jetting for something more appropriate to their climate / riding style straight away. Without following the jetting process it's hard to say what you will need, but you should certainly be "safe" with the stock jetting and an aftermarket pipe.
BigH
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by BigH »

Thanks for the info. Julian. I will install the gnarly (i want the low end) & will rejet. It runs a little rich right now so i'm hoping the exhaust gives me a mocca plug instead of the black. I will see what kind of low end I have. We ride all trails with a lot of hill climbs. would like it to come up all the way when i punch it in 2nd. If i need to change sprockets what you reccomend going down a tooth in front or up teeth in the back? Would kind of prefer the front due to increasing the back may mean a new chain. All your advice so far has been right on. Thanks Julien!!!!! Let me know. Big H
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

BigH wrote:Thanks for the info. Julian. I will install the gnarly (i want the low end) & will rejet. It runs a little rich right now so i'm hoping the exhaust gives me a mocca plug instead of the black. I will see what kind of low end I have. We ride all trails with a lot of hill climbs. would like it to come up all the way when i punch it in 2nd. If i need to change sprockets what you reccomend going down a tooth in front or up teeth in the back? Would kind of prefer the front due to increasing the back may mean a new chain. All your advice so far has been right on. Thanks Julien!!!!! Let me know. Big H

that's cause he knows stuff ;-)

i'm using the gnarly and fmf silencer, with a flywheel weight, and 15/48 gearing. at 210 lbs + gear, it will come up easily in 2nd gear. the plug has just a splash of black (20%) over the rest of the mocha brown (80%) with winter jetting and 40:1 lucas semi-synthetic.

the gearing really helps with carrying speed in singletrack, and not running out of rpm range when nasty hillclimbs demand more than the stock gearing's first can deliver.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

BigH wrote:Thanks for the info. Julian. I will install the gnarly (i want the low end) & will rejet. It runs a little rich right now so i'm hoping the exhaust gives me a mocca plug instead of the black. I will see what kind of low end I have. We ride all trails with a lot of hill climbs. would like it to come up all the way when i punch it in 2nd. If i need to change sprockets what you reccomend going down a tooth in front or up teeth in the back? Would kind of prefer the front due to increasing the back may mean a new chain. All your advice so far has been right on. Thanks Julien!!!!! Let me know. Big H
Increasing teeth in the rear is the preferred method for long term, but you are right, might need a different chain. Going down a tooth on the front will increase chain wear due to the tighter radius, but its' a quick and easy method to see if you like the lower gearing.
BigH
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by BigH »

Wow! What a difference the fmf gnarly made! Now comes up all the way in 2nd & throttle response is immediate. Due to the hill climbs & sometimes loose terrain I ride in (a lot of cole) I am considering uping the rear sprocket a tooth for just a little extra low end torque. Not worried about top end. Anyone out there running a tooth or 2 up on the rear sprocket? if so did it make much of a difference?
GREEN MANTIS
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

new exhaust questions

Post by GREEN MANTIS »

I noticed many users taking about differences from the FMF Gnarly desert and the FMF Gnarly woods pipe..

Now, I had a used KTM 250 exc ( coupe of years back ) that came with a all rusted FMF Gnarly , wanted to try Pro Circuit..and added a Pro Circuit Platinum 2 pipe... and the bike felt incredible everywhere... awesome torque and awesome top... really lineal power all the way :grin:

What are the impressions on The Pro Circuit Platinum 2 for the KDX 220...
Just trying to find out what are the results between the 2 FMF choices and the Platinum 2.
Before pulling the trigger buying the Pipe.
Im more inclined towards the Pro Circuit... but, just need more info or input from users whom used them on their KDX 220..

Thanks a lot !
BORN TO RIDE
2002 KDX 220r
2013 KTM 350 SXF Enduro modded racebike
2012 GN 125 Citybike