New (Soon) KDX owner

Got questions? We got answers....
nls2299

New (Soon) KDX owner

Post by nls2299 »

New here guys and have some general questions.

About me: 6'5", 240 lbs., 39 y.o., Very athletic (probably in better shape than most 20 y.o.)

Bikes / Toys owned / rode:
YZ80
RM85L
YZ125
300ex quad
YZ426F (absolutely hated it)
LTZ400 quad (still have)
CBR600 F2
GSXR750
Harley Wide Glide (Shovelhead)
Harley Softail (Twin cam 88)

As said, I still have the Z400 and have rode it for years behind the kids, by myself, etc. Kids are older now and I want 2 wheels but decided for now to stay in the dirt. I want a do-it-all bike and my research has led me to you guys. I've never heard a bag thing about the KDX.

I've got a chance to get a like new 2004 KDX 200 for about 1800, plus a few hours drive (super low hours and ultra clean)...OR
a 2001 KDX 220 for probably 1000 from a friend-of-a-friend who is the second owner.
Both bikes are bone stock, although the 2001 looks like it could use a good cleanup. Current owner hasn't really touched it in a couple years. The previous owner before him I know as well and he was meticulous about care for his bikes.

From my hours of reading on here (maybe I'm mistaken) it seems the majority of people lean towards the 200. Now I've also become familiar with Jeff Fredette's history and it looks like he made the switch to the 220 and never looked back (until switching to a 4t).

Based on the 2 deals in front of me, what's my best bet?
I don't mind working on things...I've always bought things cheap, made them my own, etc. With that said, I don't want to dump money into something if there's a better option.
It seems that I'll immediately need to switch the piston out of the 220, so I'm automatically into that for another $150+.

Thoughts???

Thanks guys!
sarrant

New (Soon) KDX owner

Post by sarrant »

You've pretty much got it figured out. Both bikes air fairly bulletproof once you get the piston on the 220 swapped.

Both bikes you're going to need to respring for your weight, as they're way, way too soft for somebody your size.

The difference between the two is one of preference: the 220 is tuned for more low-end grunt, the 200 for more top-end horsepower.
nls2299

New (Soon) KDX owner

Post by nls2299 »

Thanks for the reply!

I'm just still not sure which one to shoot for?

I'm leaning towards the 220 because it's 10 minutes away and $800 less although I'll need to do the piston swap...and that's the other thing...I'm not sure and the current owner isn't sure if the original owner changed the piston or not. Not sure how I can check without pulling the head?

Looks like springs will run $100+ for the front...is the rear necessary as well?

So although the 200 has more on top, I've read that the FMF Gnarly Rev pipe helps compensate for some of that on the 220? For $300+ that is a mod that would have to wait a bit.

Honestly, if I was looking for blazing top end, I'd be buying a 250 2t or something. I want something that can crawl if needed, pull the front wheel at ease (love wheelies), and generally just be fun. I've always preferred a bike that I can wring it's neck and push as opposed to something I had to ease into...
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: New (Soon) KDX owner

Post by jjavaman »

I'd say go for the 220. I've got a pro circuit pipe and had the rb carb/head mods done. It will crawl along at zero revs and wails on the top! I'm very happy with it, don't think you could go wrong with the 220.
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
CAL-kawi

New (Soon) KDX owner

Post by CAL-kawi »

One more vote for the 220. I have both and really like the 200's power delivery, but for someone of your size, I'd want the extra torque of the 220. I didn't like the stock pipe on the 220, but add a rev pipe and proper jetting, and it will hang with the 200 up top too. Definitely bigger fork springs, and the shock spring too unless you're just riding with your kids.
As for changing the piston, that's something you should really consider doing on any new to you 2 stroke anyway, so...
the bigger thing to watch out for would be a 220 that already had a piston failure...
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

I had a 200 about 2 years ago and just got a 220 this past week. Both of them were awesome, I feel you couldn't go wrong either way.

I chose the 220 because I wanted that extra bottom end and "chuggability" (term my buddies like to use). I can't remember how low I use to be able to chug my 200, but I don't remember having any problems in that area. This 220 though, chugs like a mofo. I keep bogging it wayyyyyy down in second to the point I thought it was going to stall, cracked the throttle, and BRAAAAAP! It wakes up right now! Also, I didn't feel disappointed with the top end power on the 220; I could easily pull the front up in 4th and 5th on both bikes.

Personally, I would go with the closer one, regardless of size, just because I'm lazy and cheap like that :partyman:
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
nls2299

New (Soon) KDX owner

Post by nls2299 »

Thanks for the reply guys!
Went and rode it Friday and I loved it. Kicked over so easy it worried me, but once I rode it I wasn't concerned. Chugs down low like you said, and snapped to attention when it was supposed to. It has fairly new tires on it also.
The bad part is that he can't find the title now, so I'm waiting on that before handing over any money.
From what I can tell I'm definitely going to have to get taller bars...thinking PT's KX high bend. Grips and levers are chewed up. Rear fender not cracked but it's twisted...I'm guessing someone looped it at some point. Looks like the stock exhaust tip snapped off at that time as well. That doesn't bother me so much, I'll throw on an FMF turbine muffler and buy the gnarly later when I get some extra cash.
Last edited by nls2299 on 03:02 pm Oct 26 2015, edited 1 time in total.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Awesome, congrats on the new toy :boogie:

I'm guessing you went with the 220 then? I'll be parting out a really nice 2004 220 come winter time if you need some parts (like an FMF fatty, PowerCore 2 pipe, a straight rear fender with light, a straight subframe...)
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
nls2299

New (Soon) KDX owner

Post by nls2299 »

Haven't gotten it yet, but I am going to go with the 220.
I may be interested in some parts - thank you!
For now I'd like to find a stock muffler to just throw on for now, but I've had no luck.
I've got a buddy who's going to walk me through the top end rebuild, so that's a huge relief!
My first priorities are the piston and controls to get it to fit me.
I'll post pics once I get it.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

New (Soon) KDX owner

Post by pumpguy »

There are several KDX stock mufflers on ebay right now. 95 & newer KDX 200 & 220 use the same muffler.

Nice thing about these is they do not need to be repacked, and are USFS approved spark arrestor stamped.
nls2299

New (Soon) KDX owner

Post by nls2299 »

Well after a long few weeks, I finally picked it up last night.
The guy was supposed to have the lights although they weren't on the bike (the guy let his kid race it once in a GNCC), come to find out he had the front light glass, but no bulb. He isn't sure where the rear tail light is or the wiring...that sucks.
The trip meter is busted as well.

Looks like bulbs are $30 each, and the rear light and harness are over $100??? Haven't checked out the meter price, but that all seems ridiculous.

The suspension is AWFUL...it's like riding a pillow on top of a marshmallow...
Here in Ohio it's getting colder and I probably only have a few more chances to ride, so for now I'm going to try to deal with it...maybe just tighten down the rear spring (it looks like it's about half way tightened down now). The front, I'm not sure what to do.

For what I paid, I'm happy, but it needs cleaned up bad, and some general TLC. I'll try to show a pic.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=5 ... lder%2cJPG
nls2299

New (Soon) KDX owner

Post by nls2299 »

Also, where's the best place to get a service manual? Thanks guys!
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

I have a complete rear fender/light and an odometer. Will sell.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
nls2299

New (Soon) KDX owner

Post by nls2299 »

bradf, I appreciate it! Let me see if the previous owner comes through with my light like he said. Let me know a price you're thinking please.

Well last night I took the plastics off and started taking a closer look at things.
Found a HUGE mouse nest in the airbox (which I expected).
The right front fork seal has a small leak.
It looks like the brackets busted off from the front light plastic housing (were these riveted in???)
The rest is mostly cosmetic things that I'd change anyway.

Right now I really want to just get it tuned up, fluids changed, filter changed, and somehow get these lights working (if he ever gives them to me).
I might try to track down a used silencer, this one is missing the tip, but overall isn't in the worst shape.

Is eBay my only bet for a good deal on a service or owners manual?
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

shazem that's a nice example right there.

at your height and weight, you definitely want to respring, and put some taller bars on it. the standing position will be much better, and you won't be on the bottom of the stroke all the time.

congrats, have fun :)
nls2299

New (Soon) KDX owner

Post by nls2299 »

$25 for a front light bulb??? Has to be a cheap alternative.
Front plastic light assembly is busted up on the backside pretty good, need to find alternative for that or something.
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

I also have a complete, in very good condition, working headlight assy.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
nls2299

New (Soon) KDX owner

Post by nls2299 »

Bradf, how much for the headlight assy? Bulb and all?
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

$100
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Batteries&Bulbs Plus has a cheap alternative......They are $4.00 for a PAIR....PN A-3603-BP.....Not sure what wattage, but I find them to appear brighter than stock.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type